Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird migration in TN

Hummingbird migration in TN

I am sorry to say that my 15+ hummingbirds have fallen to 5 or 6.

Guess they are headed south.

We have had a couple of nights of 50 degree temps.

Down to 2 feeders.

I only ever had an occasional visitor despite my feeder. When the phlox are into bloom, I noticed more activity with the pink phlox and the fall asters. What kinds do you get in your neck of the woods? I have only ever seen the rub-throated here.
    On my farm property, it was so much busier but town living has its limitations, I suppose.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I believe this is the latest in the year that we've ever had some hummers stick around. I'm in central Indiana and I'm still seeing a female at our feeders. Climate change is showing itself. I just hope we have a good/hard winter......but I fear it will get milder and milder. I had a hummer nest in a tree right outside my bedroom window this summer. It was sooooo neat to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I only ever had an occasional visitor despite my feeder. When the phlox are into bloom, I noticed more activity with the pink phlox and the fall asters. What kinds do you get in your neck of the woods? I have only ever seen the rub-throated here.
    On my farm property, it was so much busier but town living has its limitations, I suppose.
    we only have the Ruby-Throated. They are a hoot to watch.

we've had a very warm Sept, most days in the 90s. So I had thought I would have the hummers through Oct. I don't know what causes them to leave, the temps or length of days?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I don't know what causes them to leave, the temps or length of days?
    Yes.
    Changes in temperatures, length of day, change in insects, etc are all triggers for the little beauties to start heading south for the winter.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/beautifulhummers/ If you are on facebook this is an interesting group. There are still a few sightings going on in northern states so it's worth it to keep the feeders up a few more weeks for those passing through.

I only put out one feeder this year, that caused quite a bit of fighting. Usually I have 3 or 4 feeders but need to replace some. I've got a friend that puts out 7 triple feeders on one side of her house and another 5 feeders in a flower garden away from her house. I visited her and walked through over a hundred to get to her front door. Pretty amazing. I can't afford that much sugar!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Despite being back and forth to the states many times, I have never been lucky enough to see a Hummingbird in the flesh. I wish some would fly over the North Atlantic!

Quote Originally Posted by greenclaire View Post
    Despite being back and forth to the states many times, I have never been lucky enough to see a Hummingbird in the flesh. I wish some would fly over the North Atlantic!
    There are fantastic videos of the Hummers on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Yes.
    Changes in temperatures, length of day, change in insects, etc are all triggers for the little beauties to start heading south for the winter.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/beautifulhummers/ If you are on facebook this is an interesting group. There are still a few sightings going on in northern states so it's worth it to keep the feeders up a few more weeks for those passing through.

I only put out one feeder this year, that caused quite a bit of fighting. Usually I have 3 or 4 feeders but need to replace some. I've got a friend that puts out 7 triple feeders on one side of her house and another 5 feeders in a flower garden away from her house. I visited her and walked through over a hundred to get to her front door. Pretty amazing. I can't afford that much sugar!
    thanks for the info on the FB site. Looks like lots of good info and fellowship.

I love Hummingbirds. One home I made a sign "Hummingbird Lane". I see pictures of many sitting at feeders together. Never have I had more than one at a time. Others will be whizzing around in wait or waiting in trees for the turn. I space the feeders apart so the Fighting is less. It is comical to watch the dive bombing of each other. Do you really get more than one at a time???

Thread Information