Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods you would like to eat more of

Quote Originally Posted by printslicker View Post
    I loved Singaporean food! I practically tasted everything listed here!
    There's a lot there to like, including durian, a favorite of mine.

I prefer Thai food like Pad Thai (Thai style Fried Noodles) and Khao Pad (Fried Rice)

You guys! Pad Thai and Indian foods are very much foods I would like to eat more of!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You guys! Pad Thai and Indian foods are very much foods I would like to eat more of!
    Indian food! I just borrowed Madhur Jaffrey's "Vegetarian India: A journey through the best of Indian home cooking" and it is just amazing. So far I've made an eggplant dish, a turnip dish (who knew there were turnips in India??) and a potato/green been dish that we used in wraps. (It was supposed to be naan, I think. It was actually tortillas.)

It's an absolutely fabulous cookbook based on those three recipes. One of the things I like about it is that it uses vegetables that we have. The spices are not my usual collection quite, but now that I have whole cumin, mustard seeds and a couple of other specialty ingredients, everything is pretty much everyday stuff.

Highly recommended!

I mentioned before that Jaffrey's were the only vegetarian cookbooks I hung on to.

I also mentioned on another thread that I'd like to eat more small fish and offal, but aside from anchovy paste and fish sauce, I'm not too sanguine about the prospect. I know they're good for me...

I got one of Jaffrey's books based on Jane's recommendation. I've only made one recipe with potatoes and spinach, hmm edible, but not great (though it was much improved by eating it with a spicy lamb recipe I got elsewhere - not vegetarian at that point obviously). I'll try more recipes though and see if they are better.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yes, I would recommend that you accompany any vegetarian recipe with meat--spicy lamb, in your case.

And I never leave a recipe untouched--Honestly, I read one the other day that called for 1/4 teaspoon of chili-garlic sauce. Are you serious? Anything less than a tablespoon isn't worth taking the jar out of the fridge.

I hope you like the next recipe better--Madhur and I have reputations at stake here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B. View Post
    Indian food! I just borrowed Madhur Jaffrey's "Vegetarian India: A journey through the best of Indian home cooking" and it is just amazing. So far I've made an eggplant dish, a turnip dish (who knew there were turnips in India??) and a potato/green been dish that we used in wraps. (It was supposed to be naan, I think. It was actually tortillas.)

It's an absolutely fabulous cookbook based on those three recipes. One of the things I like about it is that it uses vegetables that we have. The spices are not my usual collection quite, but now that I have whole cumin, mustard seeds and a couple of other specialty ingredients, everything is pretty much everyday stuff.

Highly recommended!
    Thanks! I will look into that book. I really want to expand my ethnic cooking skills. I go into the Indian, Asian, and Mexican stores and there are so many fascinating ingredients that I don't know how to use. I have a few standard dishes that I've been making for years, but I want more!

Sardines and anchovies.

I love anchovies, but no one else does. Suzanne reminded me in the osteoporosis thread that sardines are good for your bones, but I don't like them quite as much as anchovies.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Sardines and anchovies.

I love anchovies, but no one else does. Suzanne reminded me in the osteoporosis thread that sardines are good for your bones, but I don't like them quite as much as anchovies.
    I like small amounts of anchovies to give flavor to food (a crucial ingredient in Green Goddess dressing). I have bravely downed small amounts--Down the hatch! --from time to time, but it's a tough sell even if very good for my health. I cleaned a lot of fish when I lived at the beach, and I never got over it, apparently.

Thread Information