Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overwhelmed with all the crap out there

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    That thing is hideous!

It reminds me of those fake stuffed fish that would move and sing that every store was selling as Christmas gift a few years ago.
    My BIL is a huge fly fisherman, works in the industry as well. So he was just in terror thinking someone was going to buy him that fish. Yup, his mom got it for him, they dutifully put it up for a year in the basement and then it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I wish someone would make a movie about what we're doing to the environment.......and the end scene would be someone drowning in crap........and this "Cowboy monkey" would float by the person's head that is sticking out of all the crap......and floating away.
    Then again......probably only people who already care about the environment would go to it........while everybody else is out buying this crap.

Yep......I'm very pessimistic....and sad.....
    I know, I am doing all my stuff, consolidating grocery trips, buying from bulk bins, bringing cloth bags, using recycled paper and bags for gift wrapping, I even upped my lunch strategy by making sure I brought silverware and a cloth napkin, and I am making no dent at all with this crap. Sigh, Off to sew up some baby washcloths for my grandbaby now

Some day, in the far distant future, archaeologists will carefully brush away the accretions of time* from this kitschy treasure and proclaim it an early silicon age specimen of monkey god worship. Maybe by then, the archaeologists themselves will be simian.

*I've been wanting to use this phrase since I saw it in an "artist's statement" because it made me laugh out loud at its pretentiousness.

People have very widespread tastes when it comes to "art". There's a whole bunch of stuff hanging on the wall at MOMA that I have thoughts about....

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Some day, in the far distant future, archaeologists will carefully brush away the accretions of time* from this kitschy treasure and proclaim it an early silicon age specimen of monkey god worship. Maybe by then, the archaeologists themselves will be simian.

*I've been wanting to use this phrase since I saw it in an "artist's statement" because it made me laugh out loud at its pretentiousness.
    Congrats! Like that phrase, too.

You know, I was walking around my neighborhood and to see all of the Halloween junk outside people's homes is absurd IMO. People decorate like it is Christmas. Now, people in my neck of the woods are not wealthy but they waste money on the junk. Sure, I know some of it is from a dollar store but there is a hundred dollars worth on the house and lawn. All made in foreign countries of course. I don't get it.

I don't get people spending hundreds of dollars on fireworks either.

I can understand have a few dollars worth of fun but what a waste of money!

Thread Information