Thread: Lydia on PBS

Lydia on PBS

Lydia made a fun recipe on PBS, it contained grapes, sauce, sausage on polenta.

I am not sure that I have ever had polenta so I need to find a recipe for it.

Now I am hungry!

Polenta is super easy, basically cornmeal cooked and molded when it cools. You can also buy it in a pre-cooked roll if you want to go easy or see if you are going to like it. Not sure if I like the grapes and sausage combo, but I do like polenta with similar toppings to spaghetti

I need to find an easy recipe. It looked tasty on the show! A great autumn meal. I don't think I have ever seen any polenta in my neck of the woods. What are other great ways to serve it?

Polenta is very versatile. In Europe it's used a lot as coatings instead of bread crumbs, you can have it for breakfast similar to grits, it makes excellent moist gluten free cakes, used as a pasta substitute with any pasta sauce, moulded and griddled with toppings....

Edit to add: on its own it is very bland. It's a great base for dishes but needs lots of flavour adding to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    I need to find an easy recipe. It looked tasty on the show! A great autumn meal. I don't think I have ever seen any polenta in my neck of the woods. What are other great ways to serve it?
    I do something that I call polenta. I stir corn meal into boiling stock (which is sometimes really stock and sometimes, blush, water with a veggie boullion cube), reduce the heat and stir until it thickens. I often add herbs at some point in the process. I sometimes put it in a pan, brush it with olive oil and bake it for a bit... but since I'm feeling confessional I will admit that sometimes I just scoop it out and put sauce on it.

I used to be better. I never molded it, but I did consistently bake it.

It is terrific with any kind of pasta sauce, notwithstanding my shortcuts. I suspect though that I should call it cornmeal mush and stop trying to sound fancy

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B. View Post
    I do something that I call polenta. I stir corn meal into boiling stock (which is sometimes really stock and sometimes, blush, water with a veggie boullion cube), reduce the heat and stir until it thickens. I often add herbs at some point in the process. I sometimes put it in a pan, brush it with olive oil and bake it for a bit... but since I'm feeling confessional I will admit that sometimes I just scoop it out and put sauce on it.

I used to be better. I never molded it, but I did consistently bake it.

It is terrific with any kind of pasta sauce, notwithstanding my shortcuts. I suspect though that I should call it cornmeal mush and stop trying to sound fancy
    The Italians serve it as 'mush' with sauce too. It doesn't have to be baked.

Quote Originally Posted by greenclaire View Post
    The Italians serve it as 'mush' with sauce too. It doesn't have to be baked.
    Thank you greenclaire! I will stop blushing.

it is really easy to make, for sure. In fact I think it is going to be dinner!

Foolproof Oven Polenta
    In a covered, 2.5 Qt. casserole dish, combine
    1 cup polenta (aka corn grits)
    4 cups water or broth
    1 tsp. salt

Cook at 350 degrees for 50 min.
    Remove from oven and stir in 1 tbs. butter, and just about anything else you like, e.g., sliced
    mushrooms, shredded cheese.

Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes.
    Total bake time - one hour.

To increase amount by 50%, use a 3.75 qt. covered casserole dish.

Thread Information