Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fall Soups and Soup Challenge

Favorite Fall Soups and Soup Challenge

It's getting cool enough to be good soup weather in our area. Have been thinking about doing a Soup Challenge for November of having soup at least once a day during the month.

Some of our favorites will be on the menu. And I'd like to try some new ones.

What are some of your favorite fall soups?

Corn/potato chowder (that I sometimes put salmon in).

Cheese tortellini soup (with tomatoes and lots of spinach)

If anyone wants the recipes, I'll post them.

Lentil soup, for the last 25 years and still love it with sourdough. I will post recipes too.

The corn/potato chowder is a recipe I would be interested in.

I make a lot of chowder because I grow potatoes. I like clam chowder and salmon chowder.
    Today is definitely chowder weather, and I need to go to the store. ..
    Most falls we eat soup every night for dinner.

I love soups! Am going to have a grand baby at Christmas time and asked DS if he wanted me to make a "bunch" of soups so they will not have to cook for a while. I loved his response.... "Oh yeah, I'd love it!" Every time I make a pot of soup I will put at least a quart in the freezer for them. I am starting this week.

Trader Joe's has a canned soup I love--Vegetarian Vegetable Lentil. Last winter I traveled quite a distance to buy it and they said they won't stock it until Feb. Really??? I need it NOW! A few months later, the store's roof collapsed after a major snowstorm.

That'll teach 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Trader Joe's has a canned soup I love--Vegetarian Vegetable Lentil. Last winter I traveled quite a distance to buy it and they said they won't stock it until Feb. Really??? I need it NOW! A few months later, the store's roof collapsed after a major snowstorm.

That'll teach 'em.
    LOL pony mom............you need to put that voodoo doll away. (or voodoo health food structure doll).

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Lentil soup, for the last 25 years and still love it with sourdough. I will post recipes too.

The corn/potato chowder is a recipe I would be interested in.
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this! Maybe others have different recipes for this too.
    I always double this, but I freeze it sometimes. A single recipe makes about 6 medium servings?

Corn Chowder

5 slices bacon
    1 medium onion thinly sliced and separated (I use lots more)
    2 cups cooked whole kernel corn
    1 (or more) cups of cubed cooked potatoes (I cook mine in chicken stock for added flavor and you can add some of the liquid back later if you need to thin the soup)
    The original recipe calls for 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, but I never use that
    2 and 1/2 cups milk (I like whole for the richness, but 2% would work)
    1 tsp. salt
    pepper

Cook bacon until crisp. Pour off some drippings, but save at least 3 Tablespoons to cook onion in.
    When onion is cooked, add remaining ingredients (including crumbled bacon) and simmer until heated. Don't boil as the milk could curdle.

**sometimes I add chunks of salmon, but they can be added at the last minute, since they cook really fast

How do you find the chowders freeze?

I am always attracted to chowders and we always have milk around here because DH drinks gallons of it each week, but I am hesitant to make up.a big natch and freeze it, inly to find that the milk substance didnt work well for,the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post

That'll teach 'em.
    PM, you should try Amy's vegetable lentil soup. It is delicious!!

We have soup quite often in fall-winter. I don't know about every night, though. Last night we had navy bean soup, and tonight we're having zucchini-cheese tortellini soup (sounds similar to CathyA's). We have a parsnip-carrot-ginger soup quite often, and I have both in my garden still to harvest for a while.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information