Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good article on Capsule Wardrobe

I'm a firm believer in Capsule Wardrobes, going back to the 1980s when Janet someone-or-other published books on the topic. I can say, though, that at times it gets boring for me. This is regarding my fall/winter/spring wardrobe. In summer, I guess I even have a version of one, but I tend to wear more dresses then.

For winter casual clothes, I come up short. Around the house, I tend to wear old, holey sweats. When I go out, I'll just grab a pair of work pants and a turtleneck or sweater. I don't go out to fancy restaurants or anything. Usually just to see my mom or a friend.

A couple of years ago, I bought pants from Lands' End that were sort of like yoga pants. They were too big and I should have returned them. Instead, I ended up paying a tailor to alter them, and I still don't like them. Now the waist feels funny because what he did was basically take the waistband and fold it over in two places and stitch it. They feel weird, but I feel like I spent too much on them to give them away. Even though I don't like wearing the. I don't know how to deal with this kind of mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post

A couple of years ago, I bought pants from Lands' End that were sort of like yoga pants. They were too big and I should have returned them. Instead, I ended up paying a tailor to alter them, and I still don't like them. Now the waist feels funny because what he did was basically take the waistband and fold it over in two places and stitch it. They feel weird, but I feel like I spent too much on them to give them away. Even though I don't like wearing the. I don't know how to deal with this kind of mistake.
    Admit you made a mistake. Then let them go. Donate them, since they sound like they are in good shape. Let someone else who does like them get them at a bargain price.

Chalk the mistake up to learning by experience.

If the pants just aren't right, you won't wear them much. And then they won't wear out. And there they will be, mocking you gently every time you see them in your closet. Every time you open the closet door, there they are, reminding you that you made a mistake. Just get them out of your life. And eventually, if you need to, find something to replace them that fits and doesn't make you feel miserable every time you put them on.

I really like this blog for capsule wardrobes: http://www.theviviennefiles.com/2016...obe-first.html

This week, she's doing a "start from scratch" wardrobe, which will probably end up with about 16 pieces of clothing, plus shoes, scarves and other accessories. It's interesting to see her thought process as she works through what additions will add more outfits to the existing pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post
    Admit you made a mistake. Then let them go. Donate them, since they sound like they are in good shape. Let someone else who does like them get them at a bargain price.

If the pants just aren't right, you won't wear them much. And then they won't wear out. And there they will be, mocking you gently every time you see them in your closet. Every time you open the closet door, there they are, reminding you that you made a mistake. Just get them out of your life. And eventually, if you need to, find something to replace them that fits and doesn't make you feel miserable every time you put them on.
    Yes!

I'm always buying things(at thrift shops) that I never wear or find I just don't like. I pass it along quick as can be. I keep a bag or box in the laundry room at all times to gather donations. Sometimes I'll raid the box if I need new stuffing for a dog bed or a rag.
    Because we're 4 seasons and have small closets I rotate my wardrobe. I've been pulling out the fall/winter stuff lately and if I don't like it as much as I liked it when I did the purge before packing it up, it goes in the bag. I think for fall/winter this year I have 1 dress, 3 skirts, 2 jeans, 1 khaki, 30 tops (I do a lot of layering so that includes sleeveless, shirt/blouse, sweaters). A rubbermade box full of shoes/boots to replace the rubbermade box full of sandals. I'm down to 3 purses but that'll probably go down to 2. Scarfs - I have 20 but I never wear them all so I'll purge those as well and maybe keep 10. Meanwhile, I'm purging the spring/summer things as I pack them up. Getting rid of a lot of dresses and skirts I never wore this summer...I think I'm just tired of them. Will probably get rid of the black capri and a white capri and 10 shirts I never wore.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have 157 shirts/sweaters/t-shirts after seasonal culling. This does not include jackets, blazers, or hoodies. I guess I am not a minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I have 157 shirts/sweaters/t-shirts after seasonal culling. This does not include jackets, blazers, or hoodies. I guess I am not a minimalist.
    Ha! Neither am I.
    There are a number of different approaches to this simple living stuff.
    I'll have plenty of time to own nothing after they wheel me into the Death's Anteroom Feeble "Living" Center.

That makes me feel better, Jane. So I can still hang out with you guys?

I still have a lot of clothes but most are my nonfitting skinny clothes that meant to inspire me to lose weight.

Most people wear 10 percent of their clothing 90 percent of the time though. Me included.

Yes, you're right--and they're taking up valuable space.

If anyone has suggestions for elastic-waisted, yoga-like soft pants (but not with that huge waistband yoga pants seem to have) at a reasonable price ($50 or under), please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post

Counting my shirts helped motivate me to declutter 4 that haven't seen any use for a long time and that I don't particularly like, so the counting exercise did have some value. I can feel reassured that I still have plenty of options even with "only" 153 shirts, and will try to get it down to 150!

Thread Information