Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
The rules are the same as for a lane beside you for another car. Lots of bikers don't feel safe on the bike lanes on the streets mixed in with car lanes. Protected bike lanes have a median or parking spaces separating them from the cars. Like a sidewalk - imagine a "walking lane" mixed in with cars. No one would walk there. Same thing with bike lanes mixed in with cars.
A walking lane wouldn't quite be the same, since your suppose to walk against traffic, where with a bike, you are a vehicle and required to go the same way.
Here, walking lanes would get used, I have no doubt. There are lots of areas around town, that have no sidewalks, and the street is the only place to walk in a lot of them, due to older storm ditches. (great for people walking their dogs, gives enough leash to stay in lane)
One bike lane, though I believe we have, is improperly marked. It has solid white stripes (no passing/lane changes) and has a right turn lane on its right side, so the bikers can go straight across (up a couple miles to a big bike trail) or turn in the car lane.

CTG, I would write a letter to the paper addressed to both them and the police dept.