Thread: Any moving tips?

Any moving tips?

With our recent house sale and now pending move to another state, I have definitely mastered decluttering. However, in planning the actual move, it appears that there so many more options that I don't know where to start. DH talked about just renting a UHaul and doing ourselves but at our age and with our current stress level, I don't think we should attempt that. Has anyone here used the storage boxes that you pack and then ship or perhaps have other ideas on how to move 800 miles successfully?

At my age, I use movers. I'll do all the packing, they do all the lifting and carrying.

If you don't have a full truckload of stuff, check with moving companies to see if they will take your stuff as a partial load. There will be a delay in getting your stuff to the new location, as they will wait until they have filled the truck with other people's stuff, but it is usually cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    With our recent house sale and now pending move to another state, I have definitely mastered decluttering. However, in planning the actual move, it appears that there so many more options that I don't know where to start. DH talked about just renting a UHaul and doing ourselves but at our age and with our current stress level, I don't think we should attempt that. Has anyone here used the storage boxes that you pack and then ship or perhaps have other ideas on how to move 800 miles successfully?
    Could you rent a UHaul and then hire some strong college students for the carrying and lifting? They could ride along or travel in another vehicle, probably cheaper than hiring professional movers.

There are also pod systems in some regions (not mine because I checked and that is why I am getting rid of so much stuff).

Alternatively, you could make multiple trips to transport small stuff and just buy new furniture and appliances.

It is possible to self-ship stuff too in small boxes.

As for sharing with someone else - might work but you need to worry about theft.

ABFUPack, I think it is. Used them three times and LOVE them--cheaper than PODS. Same price as UHaul but none of the hassle. They drop a trailer, you pack, you pay for how much of the trailer you use.

http://www.upack.com/abf

Do not do UHaul. Your stress will go through roof.

We did uhaul but hired people at both ends to load/unload.

I would hire movers. Our last move was very stressful.

If I were you, I would not drive a U haul truck. Thieves look for them in hotel parking lots, cut into the sides, and steal expensive things. Heart breaking.

When I moved to a new state, I used the pods. Loved it! No theft from movers.

I did have theft from some workers I hired to move things from home to pod, though. Small power tools are always a thief's favourite. So are expensive countertop kitchen appliances, like my Cuisinart. I was careful to label it as books and put books on top but they still too it.

I have always paid movers fairly, tipped generously, and furnished lunch and snacks. Nothing seems to deter theft except lots of friends acting as spotters. One is not sufficient.

Tape your boxes shut. That seems to help a bit.

Ended up ordering two pods that we can pack ourselves and someone else can move. Not as cheap as DIY U Haul but close.

Choose the most reputable movers with references that can be checked out. I was lucky to have to move just a short distance but I found a competent mover who knew how to move art works and furniture that meant a lot to me. We also discarded an enormous of furniture, trunks, small consumer items accumulated over many years. It was difficult but made the move feasible!

When we moved across country 8 years ago SO's employer paid. They did everything and would even have unpacked if we wanted. It was seamless and worked out great. But it wasn't cheap. Almost $10,000 if I recall correctly. Moving across town 6 years ago we hired movers again. Local. Bonded. Again, no problems. I guess we either had honest guys or have nothing anyone wants to take. If you go the uhaul route I'd hire different people on each end for loading/unloading. No need to pay a bunch of guys to drive 1600 miles. But unless one of you likes the idea of driving a big truck a long way I don't know if I'd recommend that.

Thread Information