Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crochet Taxidermy

Crochet Taxidermy

So, my library sent me a list of new books, and one was crochet taxidermy. I don't do crocheting but I was interested in what it was. Little or large crocheted animal heads on wooden plaques. Not my thing but better than killing off real animals for non-food reasons at least. I wouldn't want one hanging on my wall.

Weird

Well, that was an interesting Google search.

Some of the work is quite accomplished, as in, I am amazed you can do that with crochet. http://archfly.com/interior-design/s...-crochetdermy/

Some if it is in a very different vein:http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/...het-taxidermy/

Weird. Yes, it's better than the real things, but why have an animal head on your wall at all?

How weird and fun. I do free form crochet, actually dragon puppets. These are like stuffed animals for the wall. I would make stuffed animals but maybe people feel more self conscious having stuffed animals around as adults than they do having fake animal heads on the wall.

I must say that using granny squares in any project is a risk, some afgans can work but a lot are pretty bad. I did not like the granny square deer.

BTW the first link has amazing work. I could see some of the detail and it was so well done. Mohair and a 3 mm hook means a lot of hours to create pieces that large. I have tried to write the patterns for my dragon puppets but it is hard when I don't follow a pattern often.

I envy anyone who can crochet. I have tried so many times but just give up as I can't even get the basics. I can knit, sew, paint, make models but crochet has well and truly beaten me!

Quote Originally Posted by greenclaire View Post
    I envy anyone who can crochet. I have tried so many times but just give up as I can't even get the basics. I can knit, sew, paint, make models but crochet has well and truly beaten me!
    Funny I can't knit more than one basic pattern, I drop stitches and then get critical of any glitches. Now crochet took me several attempts but I like the free form and forgiving nature of it.

Those are gorgeous--especially the free-standing ones that don't explicitly portray a dead animal.

I have seen those little crocheted dissections http://teacupsandcouture.com/stuffed-animals-dissected/ , but nothing that accomplished.

I enjoyed what little crochet I did, it was much more fun than knitting to me. My knit stitches always seemed to twist. They're both useful skills that I didn't develop.

[QUOTE=JaneV2.0;254447They're both useful skills that I didn't develop. [/QUOTE]

I have always seen these skills as simply something that kept me out of the mental hospital! I am glad someone sees them as useful, my mom does like her potholders.

The bst potholders I ever had were crocheted ones.,they were great because they were so dense and as such they protected from hot surfaces. Yet, they were not bulky.

I get too many homemade hotpads that are thin yet bulky. Pretty useless.

haha,thats another thing I would hoard if I could, high quality pot holders. (See other thread about watch band.)

Thread Information