Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A mini bucket list of things to do

A mini bucket list of things to do

Yesterday we were driving up in our favorite towns on the lake and we always notice things to do "some day." I said to my husband that we needed to start a list so that we can remember to try these things one day when we are wondering what to do for fun. I thought it might be fun to start a list of things that we want to do someday where we live--so that we can all get ideas. (Not sure if this is the right place, but the daily challenge thing made it seem appropriate.)

This is a mini-bucket list; no finishing novels, no learning a new language, no going back to school and becoming a whatever. This is something you can do in a couple of hours. Small things that have been nagging at you--"try me!"

So far on our list--

have a meal at the oldest restaurant in Michigan, which we pass most days

go to the Ottawa and Chippawa museum that we pass by on our way and always mean to stop in

take some pictures at the top of the Sleeping Bear Dunes-- must do this before winter

make a lavender wreath for my door--this has been on my bucket list for years, and I actually did it this morning, with lavender from the farmer's market. Have decided in future to leave wreathmaking to others, I much prefer growing the lavender myself, much more rewarding, but it was on my list, and now I can check it off. Wreath is hanging in a non-prominent spot, not great, but okay.

What is on your day to day mini-bucket list?

Yes! this is exactly what I've thought of.

Last year during winter months I tried out a rule that we must go to a new place 1X weekly, or at least visit a place we havent seen for some months. It can even be in the city. It kinda worked, we got out to see new thngs about 2-3 times a month. i also threw in to "count" toward the 1X weekly event that I must attend a theatrical production at least once a month. Movies don't count. And since I cant stand musicals, it is almost always dance or drama, and I will go to occasional operas. I am learning the location of all of the small theatres in St. louis includng the ones that allow wine. Yay! We have a wealth of small, professional theater companies.

so, the places to visit on my immediate list are:

Chess Hall of Fame--current chess art exhibit and curator talk

Missouri History Museum -- Route 66 exhibit, take DH (I saw it once already)

Documents museum--a new one in town set up by a wealthy guy

Jefferson Barracks museum of largely civil war army items from St. louis--take DH. I went last year and need to spend more time there

Grant's Farm-- before the Busch family closes it down. i have never been; DH has been there many times

Eugene Field House Museum--it has been 20 years since I visited that victorian house, the home of Eugene Field, Victorian writer

African -American History museum

Scott Joplin House and museum

and, I need to make several trips to the St. lous Art Museum to become familiar with their permenant collection. i go there once a year for Art in Bloom and it so CRAZY then with hundreds of people in big crowds, ned to go at quieter times.

That is a short list, there will be others. I am scoping out the theatrical productions to attend now thru next spring and am really concentrating on the small venues, skipping over the
    fabulous Fox and its highly commercial productions. I adore that old gaudy theater but dont much love the productions.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-16-16 at 1:46pm.

Last year I spent much time at the AKC Museum of the dog. i am hapoy at how thoroughly I now know that building and the collection. I was there for both dog events and flower show events. i would like to be that well versed about other smallish museums around here.

Great idea. I will start now!

This is an excellent idea, I walk past tons of tourists every day to get to work and I've realised that I haven't been to any of the famous things they come to see. I'll make a list

I'll bet that your lavender wreath isnt that bad! Its going to be a little uneven, thats adds to its charm.Did it have a base, such as greens or grapevine?

Funny that one of the thngs on my design "to do" list is to make a huge, oval grapevine wreath to sit over our fireplace mantal. It neds to be about 40" high.

I was going to ask about the Museum of the Dog. I have a brochure and I so wanted to go to that. Next visit to St. Louis, for sure. We did the wonderful city museum--door knobs were my favorite! Such a strange and eclectic collection. My friend was a great friend of Buzz and attended his funeral.

For the wreath base I used a wire circle thing I got at a garage sale. I did not use greens. I probably should have???? I used the wreath, floral wire, and ribbon. I will try to post a photo.

I misread your grapevine wreath post, IL, as 40 feet. Jeesh.

Local places to visit (all 30-minutes or under away)

- Visit local wetlands bird reserve (Burton Mere)
    - have a coffee in the independent coffee shop in town (Elephant Coffee)
    - walk round the walls of Chester
    - the cathedral falconry centre
    - go to an open air concert in the Roman amphitheatre
    - take a boat trip on the River Dee
    - visit the Military museum
    - visit the new ancient Egypt display at Liverpool museum
    - visit Ness Botanical Gardens
    - take the open air bus trip around Chester
    - visit Lady Lever art gallery
    - visit Port Sunlight village
    - visit Williamson art gallery
    - walk/cycle the Wirral way
    - visit Speke Tudor Hall
    - go to the top of the radio city tower
    - visit Parkgate at High tide to see the bird displays.

Super idea! I had started last week actually: Taking my bike and going to as many trails that are a one day trip away from home. Last week I went to Jackson MI Falling Waters, wonderful. Swanton OH Oak Openings, great and going back for a longer ride. This week I have two more on the list!

PS where is the oldest Restaurant?? Sounds fun.

Thread Information