Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Stresses 2016

Yes, definitely a good thing. Better than reactions I've gotten in the past.

So I was reading today that families are getting divided by the election. A 19 yo girl was not uninvited by her Mom to Thanksgiving after she found out she voted for Trump. I am hearing this is not that uncommon on both sides. HOw about just agreeing not to talk politics and just enjoy the family? My DH and I don't talk politics because we are from different parties. Not that hard.

Ah, the Civil War all over again in families. So many were divided by the war and choosing sides.

I am not in the position to have to make those calls but this year would have been hard to be around my brother and family. I usually put the family above any issues, this year is very personal. Plus my SIL and niece just went to New York City and would want to talk about that, which overlaps with celebrating the Trump victory. I am okay if people need to take space from each other right now, and hope it doesn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So I was reading today that families are getting divided by the election. A 19 yo girl was not uninvited by her Mom to Thanksgiving after she found out she voted for Trump. I am hearing this is not that uncommon on both sides. HOw about just agreeing not to talk politics and just enjoy the family? My DH and I don't talk politics because we are from different parties. Not that hard.
    Because we like being different, I was planning to put up a sign "Political Discourse Encouraged" in the table centerpiece.

I'll be spending the day with my goddaughter's extended family (I know them well) up in Madison. They're very conservative, but there will be non-family guests who lean lib (it's Madison, after all!). Apparently everyone wants to hear about my new scuba diving hobby, which shall we say, is more acceptable than the shooting hobby, although some people freak about the danger aspect. So I can show around the pics on my phone and regale everyone with diving stories and distract them if politics comes up. I'm sure the underwater pumpkin carving will really distract folks!

Well, I ruined the whole holiday by getting in a fight with Spouse. Maybe we should have just gone to my sister's. AT least we would have had to behave civilly. The fight was about the lawsuit we're involved in.

I'm sorry this happened, better day tomorrow

the Open House was great. My BFF couldn't come, he has PTSD and this wasn't an ok day for crowds for him. My other BFF came. all the family got along. The trumpeters stayed in the LR allowing the liberals to whisper in the kitchen. Not one snide word from either side. And clean up was easy. It was over too soon. Except for my beloved Bernice who hates crowds. She is snoring softly next to me, her long night over.

Thank you. No, nothing went right at all, the entire weekend. We're both to blame, but at least we are speaking now.

As for my mother and sister accepting our decision to stay home with equanimity, strangely enough, I haven't heard from either of them in about a week. My mom always emails me or calls me over the weekend, & usually emails during the week. I get the impression my decision really wasn't OK with her after all.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Well, I ruined the whole holiday by getting in a fight with Spouse. Maybe we should have just gone to my sister's. AT least we would have had to behave civilly. The fight was about the lawsuit we're involved in.

Thread Information