Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Stresses 2016

Holiday Stresses 2016

Here is a special edition of our Rant thread, haha. Let your holiday angst out here.

if you need to prime the pump, please enjoy some of the family craziness depicted in the 146 pages of Holiday Hell from website Etiquette Hell:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/ind...opic=106673.15

every year the day after Thanksgiving we had an open house. We made a ham and chili and everyone brought a dish. It was always a fun get together because it was easy and required little work. Last year, both my parents had just come out of the hospital so we didn't do it. Everyone said how much they missed it.

My mother is incredibly stubborn. I suggested we just get a bunch of pizzas and use paper plates this year and have at it. It's the only family holiday we take a turn on hosting. We have a lady who cleans so there is no preparation there. She thinks it's too much for my father. He wants to do it but doesn't want to piss her off (very easy to do). I am willing to take on all the preparations. My work party went so well, I feel I can manage this event since it doesn't involve a huge trip to the grocery store even.

family is important, my mother could live for a few years or pass at any moment, people want to see her. She is going to make me crazy, I don't have far to go!

We don't have thanksgiving, so the only major event is Christmas here. The thing I find most stressful is all the crap, sorry I mean toys, that my daughter gets. From various family and friends she'll get an entire lounge full of plastic. Obviously, she loves it as she loves opening gifts like any child but every year it seems to get more ridiculous the amount she gets, it also doesn't help that her birthday is the start of December and so we've just got one houseful and then a few weeks later it happens again. I feel like I can't say to people don't buy her anything as that would be incredibly mean for her!

At some point before now and December I think we're going to have to have a cull of her current toys to make room.

FS: ignore your Mom and have your party. I quit making Thanksgiving a number of years ago and we usually go to a good friend's home. My DIL likes to make xmas eve dinner but before I always made it. WE usually have friends and family over for dinner a few times a month during the whole year. When my DIL's parents were here this summer from Poland I made a traditional thanksgiving meal for everyone. I had to order the turkey special from a local meat company since none were in stores.

Hogmanay is our biggest holiday. Christmas is more for the children. We keep open house on Boxing Day, with a buffet style food presentation.

Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings are made on Stir Up Sunday. Mince pies are made in batches, and frozen. The end od November means the Carol singers do their rounds where I serve mince pies, mulled wine for the adults and spiced apple juice for the kids.

No Thanksgiving, though!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Hogmanay is our biggest holiday. Christmas is more for the children. We keep open house on Boxing Day, with a buffet style food presentation.

Christmas cakes and Christmas puddings are made on Stir Up Sunday. Mince pies are made in batches, and frozen. The end od November means the Carol singers do their rounds where I serve mince pies, mulled wine for the adults and spiced apple juice for the kids.

No Thanksgiving, though!
    Ishbel, we did all the things you did growing up. Then last year I found out we were descended from the clans Stirling and Napier on my mother's side. So it makes sense.

I miss Stir Up Sunday, although we just called it the day we made fruit cake (Sunday after Thanksgiving here, i.e. last weekend in November.)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    FS: ignore your Mom and have your party. I quit making Thanksgiving a number of years ago and we usually go to a good friend's home. My DIL likes to make xmas eve dinner but before I always made it. WE usually have friends and family over for dinner a few times a month during the whole year. When my DIL's parents were here this summer from Poland I made a traditional thanksgiving meal for everyone. I had to order the turkey special from a local meat company since none were in stores.
    Agreed! If house cleaning isnt part of the preparation, you are blessed! Do it! Your work party went well,,so,will this one.

thanks, guys. I have to re-de-hoard her room because people will be visiting her in there and she feels like that is too much. If I catch it now before it gets really bad, I think I can win that argument by offering to do it. I can understand her being embarrassed by having people see her room but they are family who know her and love her, they don't care about the clutter, they know she is a hoarder, she just doesn't think they know.

No, you really do not need to de-hoard her room. Not your circus. Just let it be, please!!!

Concentrate on food and fun. Have some damn fun! Haha, but seriously just enjoy the people coming to your house.

you always have the best advice. Plus, she is able to come out for a little while so she can do that at the party she doesn't want in the first place or stay in her room and we'll say she's too sick for visitors.

Thread Information