Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Stresses 2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    you always have the best advice. Plus, she is able to come out for a little while so she can do that at the party she doesn't want in the first place or stay in her room and we'll say she's too sick for visitors.

This is only a stressor until 6 pm tonight when i can get rid of them: 6 large packages. Cost: $12 in contents, $15 in bows, free wrapping paper. This is the bulk of my gifting for the year. In two hours I can walk these down the street to the home of my friend and she can store them under her Christmas tree. She likes presents, she gets presents, they are out of my house and damn , they take up a lot of space.

IMG_2451.jpg

Edited to add:crap, I cant get them out of here until tomorrow.

Well, I did move out two boxes of Christmas cards, 400 of them that went to the post office today. Two boxes fewer on the dining room table.

We are having a few people over for Thanksgiving and I want the table clear tomorrow. I cant put anything on the floor because our little dog chews it up.
    Last edited by iris lily; 11-21-16 at 6:44pm.

This Christmas I don't want any drama in our house so I'm praying that there will be no unexpected visitors or anyone who's in my "hate list"

I am stressed because I cannot find peppermint ice cream in the store! What is this country coming to! Damn that Trump!

DH suggested that I crush a candy cane into some vs illa ice cream. i guess that would be the same thing.

Today we got in the mail a " keepsake ornament 2015" by
    Hallmark that has nothing to do with us, no bulldog or iris or lilies or gardens or Victorian houses. It is generic and not interesting. It is from DH' s sister. so, my mind goes whirling, thinking " should I drive this to Goodwill?" And scanned my brain to think of other things I might wish to take, but I got nothin. So now I have a dilemma, tiny thing taking a car ride to Gw? Hardly worth it. Cant put it out on neighborhood list, too tacky and worthless.

Then DH came into the room and cheerily asked " will you wrap this up and give it to Laura for Christmas?" Because he knows this ornament is stupid, and is so not my thing.

But no. No no no. I do not re-gift pieces of chit, and to all people who feel compelled to send other people small tokens of their affection, just dont. Or at least do not send them to me.

The sister sent a package of pecans that I greatly appreciate, consumable and Southern, where she is from. I am sure this ornament was an afterthought, and possibly regifted.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Here is a special edition of our Rant thread, haha. Let your holiday angst out here.

if you need to prime the pump, please enjoy some of the family craziness depicted in the 146 pages of Holiday Hell from website Etiquette Hell:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/ind...opic=106673.15
    I made it to page 24 before I could no longer read them. Good thing I have a spine and decided early in our marriage that we would not travel over holidays because it was expensive and dangerous.

Yeah, I have a spine, but also a heart, lol! Nonetheless, the year we got stranded in motels for 3 days at Christmas was the Scroogey nail in my coffin.

Yet this year, this year, may try to go to parents, as fear will not have this opportunity in future, and it is weighing heavily on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yeah, I have a spine, but also a heart, lol! Nonetheless, the year we got stranded in motels for 3 days at Christmas was the Scroogey nail in my coffin.

Yet this year, this year, may try to go to parents, as fear will not have this opportunity in future, and it is weighing heavily on me.
    I know, it is tough when the elderly parents may not be around longer. Do they have money they could give you for this!You dont have to a answer, and I know it is crazy hard to ask if youve been completely independant for decades.

Same for us. We really love our parants, but it is really hard not to be mad at them during the holiday season. Even when our kids were babies, they expected us to spend all the holidays on the road an visit them. My mother-in-law even has her birthay on December 23. One day before Christmas, can you imagine something better driving through snow and ice with two little kids just for a short visit?

Plus, I can't stand the crap they buy our kids for Christmas. 5 for 6 presents for each kid is way too much and overwhelming for them, burying them in stuff. From us, the kids get one gift each, and after dinner we play with them and their new toys. They are too small to ask for the money it cost, they simply enjoy the gifts and it is a lot of fun. As for our parents, I know they love their grandchildren and want to give them gifts. But on the one hand too much is not good for them, and it seems also to be little challenge, who of them spends the most for the kids.

So they expect us to visit both parents and parents-in-law, the ones we visit second are always offended. When we are there, you will get the full christmas horror: Overheated rooms, a lot of fat meals, a lot of plastic crap as presents, stress, arguing...

We try to fight this for a few years now. It took a while and our parents were quite piqued. But it is not our job just to fulfill their expectations in christmas on our back. So we will stay at home with the kids on christmas, and we visit one of them each year just after the holidays, the other one is welcomed to visit us afterwards. Next year it is the other way round. And we also asked them to buy one present per kid. Not more. I they like to put some extra money on their savings account instead, fine.

It worked quite well last year, let's see what this year brings...

BTW, we had the warmest September in decades, and in stores you could buy christmas sweets from Sept 1 - yuk!

Found this list on flylady of ideas for clutter free gifts: http://www.flylady.net/d/cruising-th...t-ideas/women/ there's a similar list for men and children on there too.

Thread Information