Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transgender relative

Transgender relative

Just found out today our nephew will be transgendering into a female over the next few years. His mom (my sister) thought we would think this was horrible but we gave him a hug told him that we were happy for him and that we know he didn't make this decision blithely. Anyone else with a transgendered family member? I'm going to do some reading but our support and love for him is unconditional. I hope I don't get blocked!

Why would you get blocked??
    I think your nephew is lucky to have such loving and supportive relatives.

good move on your part.

I guess I just didn't know if this would be a controversial subject. I'm pretty open minded myself.

Know some people with a child (around 12, I think) who is a boy who insists on living as a girl - it's been hard for them, so I'm glad you were able to support your sister. I saw a fantastic documentary about this issue years ago called "You Don't Know Dick" - if you can find it, buy it or rent it. It's WONDERFUL.

That's great that you're supportive.

ETA: A book that's usually highly recommended is True Selves, if you're wanting to learn more about what it means to be transgender.

We have a fantastic friend who is transgender, and who suffered for many years before making the decision. His parents and siblings no longer speak to him, even though he is a very sweet person through and through. I suppose they're embarrassed or something. I cannot begin to know what it feels like to have these feelings -- can't even fathom what it would feel like -- but that doesn't keep us from supporting him. Blessings to you.

You have done your sister and her family a great service. I applaud you!
    This Rock I Found - Enjoy my judiciously fictitious personal anecdotes in slow motion with some drawn butter on the side.

I love that you are loving and supporting him/her! I don't have any wisdom but just wanted to let you know that reading your post makes me more optimistic about humankind. Thank you

No family members, but friends. Science is just now beginning to understand how fluid gender really is, and how it sometimes just does not go along with the supplied "equipment". I hope you can give your nephew the same kind of support you would give were he to have any other kind of medical issue, because that is really what it is, a medical and psychological issue (it is quite traumatic to be mismatched psychologically with the genital equipment supplied by nature). Nature does, indeed, make errors, quite often, as we are coming to realize, and the less this is made into some big deal and the more it is simply accepted as righting the situation so that the perceived sex of the person in society is a better match with the perceived sex of the person as experienced inside, the better.

If his mom is having difficulty with the concept, you might want to refer her to PFLAG, which works with families of the transgendered as well as with families of gays and lesbians, to educate, support and help with understanding of their family members and friends.

I'm happy for your nephew that he is able to start on the path that will lead to becoming the sex that he already knows he is inside, a she. The best of luck to him/her. We know several male to female transgendered people, and it is actually an easier transition in that direction than from female to male, both societally and physically. Good luck to your nephew, soon to become your niece.

Thread Information