Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Transgender relative

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    As soon as the Feds stop sending billions of dollars for education to the states I agree with you. But as long as that money flows it comes with strings, like not discriminating based on sex.
    I think the 14th Amendment argument is stronger than the "we're sending you money" argument.

I think IL is right. My read of it was that Trump wasn't forcing a particular approach. He was just leaving it to the States to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He was just leaving it to the States to decide.
    "Leaving it to the States to decide" hasn't been a historically-viable approach to civil liberties in this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    "Leaving it to the States to decide" hasn't been a historically-viable approach to civil liberties in this nation.
    Even if you believe that, isn't it preferable to pursue whichever right you wish to establish through the the legal system rather than by administrative fiat?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Even if you believe that, isn't it preferable to pursue whichever right you wish to establish through the the legal system rather than by administrative fiat?
    That ("administrative fiat") isn't how this one played out though. See above NYTimes article for the timeline.

An executive/administrative arm saying "We believe the law requires XYZ, and so this is how we will proceed" is exactly how the legal system works. If people disagree, they then proceed through the court system.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I always grew up having to remind myself I was a girl. It wasn't about the body parts as it was almost entirely mental, I felt mentally male, it was that all the history I read was mostly HIS-story, that everything IMPORTANT and worth doing seemed to be done by men, etc.. I don't identify as transgendered. I'd call it growing up female in a world that I experienced and frankly experience to some degree as male centered, plus my personality may tend toward certain more male perspectives maybe (I don't think entirely because um face it, I'm not male and am not running on male hormones etc.).
    Me too. I was surprised and delighted to find that I'm not alone: I'm gender-queer!

My friend who is transgender just flew back east. He did get comments at security which he used to educate the agent, and didn't get patted down or excessively searched. So middle of the road trip for him.

Thread Information