Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crock pots

Crock pots

OK, there's something I don't get about crock pots. How do they save you work? You still have to chop up the vegetables you're going to put in them, and even pre-cook some items.
    I'm genuinely confused about this.

My sister gave us one years ago, and I think we've used it twice. The first time, we followed a recipe we got on the Internet. The volume of the soup was too large for the crock pot and it started to boil over.

Poor thing just sits in the cupboard.

Am I missing something?

How dare you blaspheme against crock pots!

Yeah, I know. And I'm not even the family cook. DH is.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    How dare you blaspheme against crock pots!

I dont think they save actions, they save attention. i am not a huge fan of them, but they are great for
    cooking beans and other foods that need a long time to cook. i find them fairly useless for vegetables, you have to throw these in for a short cooking period otherwise they are mush.

I very seldom use an oven for cooking, so crockpots sort of fit inwith my lifestye of "wet" cooking.

Same reason I love my rice cooker: I measure, pour it in, turn it ine, and forget about it and it is perfectly cooked every time. Again, nothing boiling over on th stove.

I never saw the allure of crock pots, either--but then I have no patience. I had a variable temperature multi-pot (with a removable crockery insert) for many years, and all I ever used it for was deep-frying maybe once a year. I have an Instant Pot now (electric pressure cooker), and I use it at least once a week. I do like any appliance that doesn't require watching, timing, stirring, baby-sitting in general.

Crockpots are great for putting in the food in the morning going to work and then having dinner ready when you get home 10 hours later.

I don't think they were meant to save us any time in preparing the food. I think they were meant to have the food ready when we got home so dinner wasn't too late. Putting the same food in the oven wouldn't work for an 8 to 10 hour day.

When we worked before microwaves the crock pot saved many an evening. Fast forward to retirement and I use it now for soup, broth making and a couple of chicken and pork recipes. I don't make anything I have to brown first as that means another pan....Ours is an avocado green the original....non removable liner but it still looks and good and cooks well.

If you've ever made recipes that need to be cooked in a pot for several hours, that's what they are for, not needing monitoring. Then again if I'm going to make something that takes several hours of cooking I stay home (best for a weekend), otherwise I don't make that and make something that takes less cooking. So no I don't have a crockpot. Reading about crockpots possibly having lead and so on was enough to convince me I don't really need them. Pots on the stovetop are good enough. I don't have a microwave either. I'm not a fan of most kitchen appliances.

I think they were meant to have the food ready when we got home so dinner wasn't too late.
    that's what leftovers are for - heat up leftovers, done.
    Trees don't grow on money

Lately I have used the crockpot for pulled pork for a crowd. I dnt knew w hw many people are coming so
    I can make the maximum amount and freeze all leftovers. Efficient and not wasteful. I d have to target the right number of buns, but a few excess of those can be froEn, too.

Yeah what Tammy said. I like them for my chili, navy bean soup, split pea soup, mainly, and occasional whole chicken. Then when I get home it's done and I don't have to hit the door slicing, dicing, and saute-ing, etc. Those dishes could be done other ways, but I use the c/p while I'm working.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information