Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoarders vs. American Pickers

Hoarders vs. American Pickers

I am watching an American Pickers episode and there is no difference in the properties in many cases from those on Hoarders. The hoard tends to be outside a home on the land or in outbuildings but it is still a lot of stuff piled everywhere. One guy had a ton of junk that led to his front door and the pickers searched through it looking for collectibles. However, the spin is on collecting rather than hoarding. Now it is true that I haven't seen piles of fecal matter or trash bags on American Pickers. But at some point, collecting is a low-level of hoarding. I wonder how law officials make the decision if someone has a hoard or is collecting? I guess if the person collecting lives in the country on a big property away from anyone else, then no one will complain.

Collecting is actually quite distinct from hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Collecting is actually quite distinct from hoarding.
    Now on AP it isn't. Stuff piled out in the rain or in a barn - not in glass cases or on bookshelves.

Collectors organize, maintain, clean, and -- most importantly -- joyfully display their collections. They revel in others seeing and enjoying their collections.

Hoarders do not take part in this constellation of behaviors.

And so I will always be a hoarder, as apparently an extreme introvert cannot be a collector.

i am having a really good time arranging and rearranging my dolls as I work on my basement space though. And I had a really nice conversation about doll designers at the pottery studio the other day with someone who may or may not be a collector. It helped that we were both glazing pots on opposite sides of a low partition. I find conversation to be facilitated by lack of demand for eye contact.

Re the shows, maybe it's a hoard if only you see value in it, and it's a collection if other people agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    And so I will always be a hoarder, as apparently an extreme introvert cannot be a collector.
    Lots and lots of collectors are extreme introverts, CL

Yes, but UA is determined that I must enjoy showing off my collection to other people in order to be a collector, and no one in my family has any interest in dolls and they sometimes tease or mock me, so there is no enjoying there, and there are few other people I want in my home at all, so there is no showing happening.

CL - unless your dolls are sitting outside in the rain or collecting dust in a smelly barn then you got nothing to worry about. On AP - most of the sellers have stuff piled outside or in outbuildings where there is degradation. We are talking apples and oranges here. Watch a few episodes of AP to see what I mean. There are some shows where the collectors are displaying stuff nicely but mostly, it is piles outside or in abandoned buildings.

Don't know what the introvert comment is about actually.

On hoarders there are extroverts, introverts and everything in between. Same with AP.

If you r family liked your dolls you would enjoy showing them and if they are clean, displayed, etc they are a collection. I would show mine to friends or my Mom who also liked dolls. Now I only have 2 so no collection. It took me a lot of time to maintain them, clean them etc as they will gather dust on their hair, clothes, etc. Some people use glass cases so they don;t get so dusty.

What kind of dolls do you all have?

I like fantasy character dolls, and have a couple small ones, but I dont collect with the idea of retaining them. I put them outside in garden poses and they freeze and thaw and last only a few years, but they are tougher than I thought they wouod be.

Thread Information