Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Artists Way

The Artists Way

I read the Artists Way many years ago, by Julia Cameron. It was a self-published book with major success. She has additional books but my library only has that one. Anyway, I really liked it and need to get it again. It is designed for anyone to find their live's passion. It doesn't have to be what most people call art - it is anything that makes you happy to do. It is very cathartic and makes you emotional when you work on the morning pages. I wish there was a meetup group in my neck of the woods.

I love the book, and used it very regularly for a long time. In a good way it helped me see what I needed to see and that led to my divorce in part. However I was really seriously writing for a long time with the support of the book. Like you said, you don't need to end up being an artist or a writer with the support of the book, but it is wonderful to do the morning pages and artist's dates for anything creative. (and I think data science could be creative)

Yes, she has a lot of books but my library only has the one. I might try interlibrary loan. So many books are now through the download system and I don't have a device for it. I still like my old-fashioned paper books!

The books are for anything, rock climbers, knitters, genealogists (me). Whatever makes you happy to do in your spare time.

The found the book a form of therapy without the expense.

Many of us (people in general) are so busy working that we don't have time for creativity of any kind.

Also, many people have had their creativity stifled.

Sandy, I read some of her other books and found that they repeated much of The Artist's Way but phrased differently. I still do the morning pages.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I really only learned one thing from applying her methods--that I'm a world-class whiner, as evidenced by my "morning pages."

My morning pages were whiny too. I have been writing "evening pages" off and on for a while.

I credit the book and working through it with a much greater peace of mind and the discovery that I enjoy writing and drawing. It helped me focus on what I wanted, which was something I'd never credited. I still do one morning page, not three, but think it still helps.

Yes, mine are often whines. It helped me realize that by re reading the pages and taking notes on "actions" and "insights". some whines are worthwhile and others just need to be noticed and stopped.

so we are all whiners! I went through my old ones at my last move and tore out the 5 pages with something worthwhile, put the rest in the trash. However I found it got the whining out of my system so I was more clear when I was writing. Not so many whiny characters ya know.

interesting to read what others have noted of their morning pages. I found that mine started with what was going wrong and gradually turned into what I was most grateful for happening in my life during a very stressful period. It is the gratitude that has continued to dominate my writing.
    The Artist's Way has given me direction and confidence during a lot of changes along with my spiritual study. Maybe the best way to describe, I think, is that one has the opportunity to see what thoughts are spinning in one's mind and address them. They are just thoughts! Then we decide what to do with them - discard, modify, correct, follow up on, etc.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information