Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Council: Columbus passes resolution that condemns Islamophobia

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    there's no doubt as crazy in the old testament, going to a local mosque might be more instructive about how Islam is actually practiced. I can't say I have though.
    Which Mosque in which city in which state in which nation?

I don't see anything wrong with the way it's worded, but that type of resolution shouldn't be necessary in a civilized society--especially one that was founded on freedom of/from religion.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF COLUMBUS:

That this Council does hereby condemn religious intolerance and the rise of Islamophobia, and declare support for the Muslim community in the City of Columbus on this day, October 24th, 2016.
    I can agree to condemn relgious intolerance. But why a special treatment for muslims? What about other religious communities? Guess the Jewish community is celebrating that resolution...

Which Mosque in which city in which state in which nation?
    local
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    local
    To whom? And are all local Mosques the same?

Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    I can agree to condemn relgious intolerance. But why a special treatment for muslims?.
    For the same reason that it's black lives matter, not all lives matter. Once I start seeing talking heads on the tv saying 'you 'regular' Christians need to take responsibility to denounce the violent ones shooting up abortion clinics and the like if you want us to believe your religion isn't violent,' then we can stop singling out muslims for something like this.

I think we should protect Muslims from discrimination.

I also think that we should retain and protect our rights to criticize bad ideas, many of which are found in Islam and other religions and philosophies.

I don't think this resolution does either.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I think we should protect Muslims from discrimination.

I also think that we should retain and protect our rights to criticize bad ideas, many of which are found in Islam and other religions and philosophies.

I don't think this resolution does either.
    I think there is a degree to which certain elements have difficulty discriminating between criticism and discrimination. It can be complicated to weigh the conflicting rights of various parties in the real world. Should a Muslim baker refuse an order for a gay wedding, relying on official tolerance for his beliefs?

This kind of resolution is mere feel-good piffle akin to those towns declaring themselves "nuclear free zones".

Thread Information