Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the Great Clean Out starts Sat!

Freshstart, that is great really. Two big pieces of furniture gone, and you can find all your stuff!

and your friends are right, you will be able to just say "take everything in this corner."

maybe be when the basement is done, your sad will realize he doesn't have the videos, and then you can clean out another big thing...

Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    this just made my day, it helped me so much when at the end he said "love people, use things", not the other way around. I will be more patient. thank you, JayPee, I;m showing this to everyone

Glad you liked it. http://www.theminimalists.com/ was one of the first websites I found when I started my minimalist journey. Helped me to see things from a different perspective: It is not about decluttering and what or how many items you have. It is about if your stuff adds value to your life or not. And the answer is up to you, it's your decision. Furthermore, it is not only about stuff. But money, time, relationships. And again, it's your decision. You don't have to be a vegan digital nomad with just 20 items in a backpack to live a simple life. It is about YOU, what YOU need and what adds value to YOUR life. Sounds a bit selfish first, but as Joshua said in the video also the people around you wil gain something from it.

Although not everything went the way you wished, it is a start. Keep going, fngers crossed ;-)

Good job. Maybe you all can read Marie Kondo's Spark Joy book to motivate mom. It is a tiny book.

I will have to check out that site JayPee. I plan to do more decluttering too.

JayPee, you're so right.

I just spent dinner and conversation with everyone and when I see my mom around healthy people I realize I sometimes don't cut her enough slack. She really is very sick and I'm expecting her to act in a manner completely different than her norm when she is at her worst physically. What is the big deal if I have to haul crap out when she dies? Like my friends said, they will be there to help me when that time comes. Now that it's getting organized and shelved instead of falling out of broken boxes, I don't have the anxiety I had about it. I would love her to wake up and get rid of piles of stuff but the video reminded me of what is important first, the person.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    Good job. Maybe you all can read Marie Kondo's Spark Joy book to motivate mom. It is a tiny book.

I will have to check out that site JayPee. I plan to do more decluttering too.
    she doesn't really read anymore but I explained the concept when I did my stuff. I might show her some of the youtube videos. Especially when we really get into her clothes.

It sounds like your friends did a great job and have a good plan. Also glad that you were able to get rid of some big items.

done with the first weekend! I am really happy with my section that is organized, I have some more purging to do, things I haven;t used in a really long time. But it's all right there neatly stacked for me to work on. I'm thinking of donating all the free with coupons toiletries that I have a ton of but it will save us money to use them rather than have to buy more, IDK.

my parents really didn't do that great (3 sets of golf clubs and my dad can't golf anymore and 5 (!) really old printers), they kept a ton but it's starting to be organized at least

we found that butt ugly magazine rack/end table from the 70s that my mother was wishing she had in the LR the other day. When she wasn't looking, out the door it went since she already thought it was long gone. My father wants to set up the aquarium from the 80s but he never keeps them clean and they are a lot of work if you don't keep up with them. I might get him one of those beta fish swimming in a vase with a pretty plant on top instead.

done, we don't convene for 2 weeks, done, done, done, yay!

Can you bribe your dad with the beta fish? "If you let the aquarium go, I will get you a beta fish when it is gone"?

I would use the toiletries, but if it's stuff with expiration dates, donate what you won't use up.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I might get him one of those beta fish swimming in a vase with a pretty plant on top instead.
    Please don't do that. They don't thrive in that environment and aren't as hardy as petstores lead you to believe. They do best in an aquarium at least 3-5 gallons; just as much work.

Thread Information