Thread: Vacuuming Time!

Vacuuming Time!

I try to vacuum about once a week but was busy last week. Anyway, I only have a little old stickvac Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner that does not have a powerful motor. First, I always use a stiff bristled broom to pick up hair (mine since I don't have pets) This sort of works like a rug rake. Then I vacuum. So, after cleaning a little hallway, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom (and I did not shift around furniture this time), I took off the end of the vacuum cleaner to clean out the cup and filter. I was in shock because it was full! No pets, no visitors, windows not open as much since sometimes it is cold, changed my ac/furnace filter myself and the thing was full! Yuck! And, how in the world? Then I cleaned out the cup and filter to vacuum the living room, dining room and kitchen, and the cup again had a lot of dust. Ick! Don't know where it is coming from. If I had a stronger vacuum cleaner, then it would find more dust, I am sure. Carpet looks all fluffy now. I really think everything in my apartment is degrading and it is drywall dust because that is the only thing that I can think of that it could be. I use a broom almost each day to pick up hair from the carpets and floors so - it is amazing how much dirt collects in carpet.

We have a lot of dust in our house too, especially in the one bathroom...and my hair is worse than pet hair on the floor these days!

I hate carpet!

At the moment, I think most of the dust in my house is powdered concrete and sawdust. I keep cleaning, it keeps settling. We bought a hepa vacuum when the kids were little. It was a huge investment at the time, but I still love it almost 20 years later.

In my alternate life, the one I live in my head sometimes, I have a pet hair free home. Also--no cat vomit to pick up.

i dont like vaccumming, but fortunately we have hard surface floors downstairs and
    I like sweeping with a broom. Becuase DH insists that we keep the carpet upstairs, he gets to clean it wth the water/steam cleaner, I vacuum only a few times a year.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-1-16 at 8:33pm.

My house gets very dusty. I was wondering if using a better furnace filter would help? They come in so many types and the price ranges from 3 - 25 dollars. I don't have allergies, but are the higher priced ones worth it?

I read that most of the dirt coming into a house comes in on our feet and clothes. Good large mats at the front and rear doors to capture dirt off shoes and taking off shoes there helps a lot.

We have a whole house air cleaner that runs all the time. Hubby cleans it every month. I would go for at least a mid-range filter and replace it on a regular schedule.

Surely there's a way to incorporate a leaf vac inside the house?
    Gosh I hate house cleaning.............

the dog hair is the worst. if I use the furminator brush on Bernice, we have a lot less hair but she was abused and brushing her scares the crap out of her. Not worth it at all. Buddy I get shaved down so he really doesn't shed much. I like when they lie on the leather couch, just a wet paper towel gets rid of that hair.

I hate carpet, too. We only have it in the bedrooms. We have a steam cleaner but no one's done it in 3 yrs because I'm not up to it. The carpet looks good enough. Only one or two pet accidents on it in 3 yrs, yay!

Thread Information