Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Milo Yiannopoulos is coming to Ohio State University on Friday...

He doesn't pass my simple living test. Here's what he was wearing when he gave that speech:

MILO wears bespoke blazer, $799. Jeans by Robin’s Jeans, $975. T-shirt in sand by Daniel Patrick, $75. Sneakers: 13 Jordans by Nike, $140. Eyewear by Versace, $320. Chains: model’s own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    He doesn't pass my simple living test. Here's what he was wearing when he gave that speech:

MILO wears bespoke blazer, $799. Jeans by Robin’s Jeans, $975. T-shirt in sand by Daniel Patrick, $75. Sneakers: 13 Jordans by Nike, $140. Eyewear by Versace, $320. Chains: model’s own.
    I often wonder who buys these things. I was looking at a $14,000 Bernina this morning. What could the overpriced versions do to be worth the extra money? It remains a mystery to me. $1000 jeans? Hahaha!

I see they cancelled his engagement at Berkeley when some sort of local Brownshirt-type group reacted violently. The Atlantic published a piece to the effect that he tested progressives and they failed.

He must be very pleased. You don't see many people who can monetize hatred like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see they cancelled his engagement at Berkeley when some sort of local Brownshirt-type group reacted violently. The Atlantic published a piece to the effect that he tested progressives and they failed.

He must be very pleased. You don't see many people who can monetize hatred like that.
    He is sleaze bag. But... here is something interesting. I am actually giving a presentation on Milo tomorrow in my Cultural Competence Social Work class.

I have no idea how to react. But the professor suggested I give a trigger-warning in case topics related to Milo trigger anyone's past trauma.

But my position in the presentation is that free speech is amaze-balls and that if we disagree with the Milos of the world we should square off with them Firing Line style and actually debate.

I think the regressive left/control left/illiberal left might shout me down in class though, or deem hate speech the equivalent of physical violence. Anyway, I think it will be an interesting conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    He is sleaze bag. But... here is something interesting. I am actually giving a presentation on Milo tomorrow in my Cultural Competence Social Work class.

I have no idea how to react. But the professor suggested I give a trigger-warning in case topics related to Milo trigger anyone's past trauma.

But my position in the presentation is that free speech is amaze-balls and that if we disagree with the Milos of the world we should square off with them Firing Line style and actually debate.

I think the regressive left/control left/illiberal left might shout me down in class though, or deem hate speech the equivalent of physical violence. Anyway, I think it will be an interesting conversation.
    Do you even need to quote him in any way? The interesting phenomenon isn't his ideas, such as they are, but the mindset and ideology that feels justified to stoop to such ugly means to deny him a hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Do you even need to quote him in any way? The interesting phenomenon isn't his ideas, such as they are, but the mindset and ideology that feels justified to stoop to such ugly means to deny him a hearing.
    Well, I have to hand out a news article or two about him to everyone in the class. I actually think that they will suspect that I am some sort of Milo-sympathizer. I am white. I have a shaved head. I defend free speech and civility.

But I am many things he profoundly dislikes -- liberal, an atheist, a bicyclist, just to name a few.

Robert Reich has an interesting theory--that the "rioters" were working for/with Breitbart. That makes perfect sense to me. Kind of like the Reichstag fire. It's all falling into place.

If the inevitable protesters were smart, when the black shirts show up for this event, they would detain them and turn them over to campus police rather than letting them wreck property.

For the Berkeley event, protests went on peacefully for hours until another small group showed up and started smashing and burning stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Is he supposed to pass to pass a "simple living test?" That seems incongruous with who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Robert Reich has an interesting theory--that the "rioters" were working for/with Breitbart. That makes perfect sense to me. Kind of like the Reichstag fire. It's all falling into place.
    The Big Lie is a perennial favorite. As is the Outside Agitator excuse the University is offering.

My view is that the College Republicans thought they could raise a stir with a click-baiting idiot, local leftist idiots obliged them with Pavlovian predictability, and a gutless school administration reacted as gutless school administrations do.

Thread Information