Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brexit question for Ishbel

Brexit question for Ishbel

The Supreme Court has ruled that the government cannot move to leave the EU without approval from Parliament.
    That adds a substantial layer of complications to the situation. Thoughts or comments from onsite perceptions?

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/...ling-1.3834191
    ​​Prime Minister Theresa May has said she will launch exit negotiations with the EU by March 31. She is relying on a power called the royal prerogative that lets the government withdraw from international treaties.

Claimants argue that leaving the EU will remove rights, including free movement within the bloc, and say that can't be done without Parliament's approval.

Three senior judges ruled that "the government does not have the power under the Crown's prerogative" to start EU exit talks.

The case is considered the most important constitutional matter in a generation.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm not Ishbel but I do live over here too. I think it's the correct decision, a referendum here is not a legally binding vote and is merely a glorified opinion poll. The public decided (albeit very narrowly) to leave the EU but the public also vote for their representatives to make decisions on their behalf, that's the whole point of our democracy. So I do think the final say should be a vote in parliament. How they'll actually vote will be interesting and it will also be interesting to see if it'll be a whipped or free vote. I think it's going to drag on a while......

Thanks, greenclaire. I was not aware of either the 'royal prerogative' or the fact that a referendum is non-binding. That changes the picture a lot.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If the referendum was merely advisory in nature and not binding, it wasn't clear to me during the run-up to the vote.

Now I'm seeing a lot of commentary that the pro-Brexit voters were ignorant or duped, and that some version of do-over is justified.

Without arguing the merits of the case for or against, I could see how the majority might feel insulted or disregarded by their elites. Especially if Parliament were to now vote to remain.

I took a straw poll and most of the Brexiteers i know had not understood the referendum was NOT binding (despite this being stated when the referendum was proposed).

One way out may be for Mrs May to call an election to obtain a clear mandate that, as she has stated 'Brexit means Brexit'. However, Indoubt she would take this action.

I am still a Leave believer.
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 11-4-16 at 10:48am. Reason: To add the crucial word 'NOT'!

A leaveliever?

This is very interesting.

So was it the case that Cameron's promise to hold the referendum was to get a sense of public sentiment so the government would take action under "royal prerogative"? And now the high court is saying that, unlike other treaties, a vote of Parliament is needed to invoke Article 50? Was the vote on Scottish independence covered by s different legal framework?

David Cameron was a weasel. He swithered in the wind of public opinion as shown by incorrect polls. The debacle of our Independence referendum can be laid squarely at his door.

Now we have Nicola Sturgeon pushing for another independence referendum because Scotland voted STAY in the EU referendum. And, God forbid, you add Jeremy Cornyn's Labour into the mix... How many times can we hold referenda just because the losing side didn't get the result they wanted?

The (admittedly, small) majority voted LEAVE. It would be nice if MPs bowed to that wish. Me? I don't trust any of them!

I'm going to have to find an excuse to use "swither" in casual conversation. Your posts are a lexicological treasure trove. My poor hardworking spellchecker can't keep up.

I'm wondering if the situations with the EU and Scotland (and perhaps the earlier Irish troubles) might be considered in light of whether it's better or worse to have a formal, written constitution versus an unwritten body of tradition and legal precedent. I could see how the first approach might lead to endless legal quibbles; but I could also see how the second might force you to make decisions on the fly in the case of unusual and infrequent events.

Auld Scots and Lallans are rich seams to mine for words that are much more expressive than Standard English.

Just a few...

Shoogly
    Outwith
    Glaikit
    Numpty
    Teuchter (this one is Gaelic in origin and 'borrowed')
    Gallus
    Stotious

Re Brexit. Mrs May seems to have come out fighting. We'll see. The only certainty seems to be that you cannot trust politicians, of any stripe!

Thread Information