Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brexit question for Ishbel

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    The only certainty seems to be that you cannot trust politicians, of any stripe!
    The US Constitution is predicated on that premise, and is full of checks and balances aimed at pitting factions against one another to prevent any one group from exercising too much power for too long. Some people look at that as inefficient. I look at it as a bulwark against tyranny.

I suspect whichever system is familiar to you, means you inherently feel 'your' system is the better.

I suspect whichever system is familiar to you, means you inherently feel 'your' system is the better.
    I would only say "better" in the sense that it places relatively little reliance on the virtue and goodwill of either the political class or the general public. It is almost certainly inferior to some other systems in the speed and unanimity with which it can respond to external pressures or changing social sentiment. Churchill famously remarked that America could always be counted on to do the right thing after having exhausted every other possibility.

We were slow, for instance, in ending chattel slavery or responding to the threat of Fascism. On the other hand, there have been no American Cromwells, Stalins or Robespierres.

Being myself of a fairly cautious and conservative temperament, I confess a preference for "do-nothing" government over "do-something-stupid" government. I could see how a reasonable person could disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This is very interesting.

So was it the case that Cameron's promise to hold the referendum was to get a sense of public sentiment so the government would take action under "royal prerogative"? And now the high court is saying that, unlike other treaties, a vote of Parliament is needed to invoke Article 50?
    This is why people don't trust governments. Didn't Parliament previously decide that the issue should be decided by the voters, thus the referendum? Now the High Court says the will of the people be damned and that Parliament must approve. Didn't they essentially do that already?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

weasely Cameron never thought for one minute that the referendum result would be LEAVE. IMO He made the promise of a referendum precisely for that reason.

Theresa May, previously stated her Pro-REMAIN beliefs, but after the referendum has stated that Leave Means Leave... We'll see! She is in India to explore post Brexit trading opportunities.

The Supreme Court judgement should be interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...sa-mays-decis/

weasely Cameron never thought for one minute that the referendum result would be LEAVE. IMO He made the promise of a referendum precisely for that reason.

Theresa May, previously stated her Pro-REMAIN beliefs, but after the referendum has stated that Leave Means Leave... We'll see! She is in India to explore post Brexit trading opportunities.

The Supreme Court judgement should be interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...sa-mays-decis/
    There's an old lawyer's adage that seems to apply here: "Don't ask the question if you don't already know the answer."

May is in a tough spot, but you have to admire the way she's working to honor the will of the people even though it doesn't reflect her own views or apparent political interests. We could use a little more of that kind of integrity over here.

Yes. I have never voted Tory, but if she calls a snap election because of this issue, I will change the habit of a lifetime.

Thread Information