Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump A ‘Backlash,’ Dems ‘A Boutique Party of Fake Outrage and Social Engineering'

Only half of eligible voters voted in this election which I find very sad. 4.3 million people have signed a petition to award the electoral college to Clinton. In many states electors can be faithless and vote what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Only half of eligible voters voted in this election which I find very sad. 4.3 million people have signed a petition to award the electoral college to Clinton. In many states electors can be faithless and vote what they want.
    The electoral college in my state had better honor the vote in my state. Why they would honor the votes of people in New York City is beyond me.

That said, if the shoe were in the other foot, I know with absolute certainty, that Trump supporters would be loud and annoying in crying foul at the bad, corrupt electoral college system.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If they keep doing it for too long eventually they are going to live out a meme that keeps floating across my Facebook feed. "He called me a faggot. I called him an ambulance." I suppose the second amendment lovers should be happy. I've actually had two gay friends start discussions about whether they should buy guns and take training classes.
    I spent 15 years teaching people in the Castro about guns, knives, kubotans, tear gas, and unarmed combat...

That said, words alone should not draw a physically-violent response.

Occasionally a few electors have been unfaithful in the past. That is one of the purposes of the electoral college. If people are too stupid on how to vote they step in.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I spent 15 years teaching people in the Castro about guns, knives, kubotans, tear gas, and unarmed combat...

That said, words alone should not draw a physically-violent response.
    To be sure, it won't be me doing a violent response to words. If that was going to happen it would've happened in seventh grade biology class, the first time in my life that I was called a fag. If it didn't happen then it's not going to happen now that I'm a 49 year old man. If I feel physically threatened, on the other hand, I may finally use my dad's one piece of advice about fighting; go for the sucker punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Occasionally a few electors have been unfaithful in the past. That is one of the purposes of the electoral college. If people are too stupid on how to vote they step in.
    There's a historical listing of all the faithless electors here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector , although I don't think you'll find any examples of their faithlessness being some imagined duty to protect the country from stupid people.

I also can't believe anyone would think that appropriate. If you want to take the responsibility of government out of the hands of the hoi polloi and assign the responsibility solely to the elites, just say so.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

No Alan, I want the electoral college gone and for the people to elect the President. In fact I signed a petition. If a Republican that knew what he was doing (for instance J Bush ) won I would not be upset. It is the fact that someone that has no clue what he is doing, incites violence, has turned all his business ventures into piles of s**t, etc is going to be running our country. It would make a great horror movie if it wasn't true.

The electoral college ensures that individual states are fairly represented, much like state primaries or caucuses are used to choose a candidate. If you get rid of one, should you also get rid of the other? If so, are you ok with the people of California, New York and Florida choosing your candidates for you?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The whole "Senate" business is a bit dodgy too.

I mean, California, with nearly 39 million people, only gets two Senators. Wyoming, with only 586 thousand citizens, gets two Senators as well.

Doesn't seem remotely fair....

(And that "super-delegate" stuff seems contrary to Democracy... Maybe I don't understand how it works...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The electoral college ensures that individual states are fairly represented, much like state primaries or caucuses are used to choose a candidate. If you get rid of one, should you also get rid of the other? If so, are you ok with the people of California, New York and Florida choosing your candidates for you?
    State elections are by popular vote and in the state in which I reside, historically, 3 urban counties of 84 counties in the state have determined the outcome of state elections. Irritating for us rural county voters. If not for the electoral college in presidential elections, we voters in rural counties need note vote.