Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Trump A ‘Backlash,’ Dems ‘A Boutique Party of Fake Outrage and Social Engineering'

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Taxing white privilege in general is an excellent idea!
    The IRS could establish a Bureau of Genealogy and contract with Ancestry.com to calculate the appropriate levels of taxable whiteness. Tax credits could be created for white people who feel really, really guilty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The IRS could establish a Bureau of Genealogy and contract with Ancestry.com to calculate the appropriate levels of taxable whiteness. Tax credits could be created for white people who feel really, really guilty about it.
    Oh, this is taking on steam! Great ideas!

I will bet there is more than one sci fi novel that has expanded on this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Cant we just self identify as someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Perhaps Elizabeth Warren was being financially far-sighted in her ancestry claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Yppej:

Do you think I do academic research?

I am a fundraiser for a university. The fundraising work that I do helps to fund everything from scholarships for disadvantaged students to cancer treatment research to veterinary medicine to football to creating new buildings and so on.

Some might say that single mothers (who are not widowed) simply made bad choices as individuals.

Some might also say that if you are 50+ and still struggling financially you simply made bad financial choices.

You seem to think I am a big spender living the jet set life.

Let me give you an illustration of my lifestyle, a reasonably comprehensive snapshot. Then tell me if you think I live the jet set lifestyle.

-I live in a small, one bedroom apartment.
    -I sleep on a mat on the floor.
    -I have one small love seat for furniture, along with a used kitchen table and chairs.
    -I own a 2012 Nissan Versa which I bought new and paid off in 18 months by literally eating rice and beans every day for lunch and often for dinner too.
    -I walk to work each day; I walk to the grocery store; I walk to the pharmacy; etc. to keep my mileage and gasoline costs down
    -My meals are not extravagant (though I do like to get dinner or lunch out with friends a couple times a week or so); for instance today I will have yogurt, bananas, and a few walnuts for breakfast; I will have a salmon patty, a bell pepper, and a avocado for lunch; dinner will probably be fried eggs and potatoes.
    -When I do go out to eat it is at small, ethnic restaurants on the "wrong side of the tracks" which have very reasonable prices, comparatively.
    -My hobbies are reading books (I buy them used for a buck or two or get them from the library); drawing pictures (a new hobby that requires just paper and a handful of pencils), fishing from shore (got all the gear so I just get bait for a few bucks)
    -My laptop is 4 years old and was a cheapy to start with; I don't own a cell phone and my home phone costs $27 month; I don't own a TV or a stereo or any gadgets like iPodPads or those watches you can talk to
    -My clothes are almost all old and shabby, except my clothes for work and a few shirts I recently bought because my ladyfriend pointed out that my other shirts had big holes in them and I looked like a crumb bum.

I like ZG and hope for the best for her. But she made some major mistakes getting into the line of work she is in. Her job is literally destroying her. Read her posts. You don't mind your tax dollars going to her because she has what seems to be such a miserable life? That is sadistic in a way, Yppej. It really is.
    You must have quite a bit socked away. I assume your planning on early retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    You must have quite a bit socked away. I assume your planning on early retirement.
    You're assuming he has socks.

Yppej, it is hard to believe you need a degree for a job yet make less then 30k. You must live in a very low cost of living area. What is your occupation?

I am not surprised some jobs pay poorly and require degrees etc, I've seen it, too many low wage jobs, lots of competition for decent jobs, not everywhere is booming economically.

But I am curious about Yppej path, what was the original degree(s) - liberal arts or social science? What was the second degree, accounting? I think Yppej does AR so an accounting degree is what I would guess at. Now one probably *should* be able to make more with an accounting degree, but here's the thing accounting salaries range ALL OVER the map it seems, and so what *should* happen and what does ... may be two entirely different things.

Of course I would not consider an individual income of 29k middle income around here, as it's not middle income here, it's actually considered "very low income" here by HUD. But maybe it is middle income somewhere inexpensive.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yes. If I am subsidizing Zoe Girl, for instance, I don"t feel the same. She is doing social good helping kids (not academic research), has been a single mother, is still struggling, and lives a frugal non jet set lifestyle. I doubt she pulls down 49K and she works long hours. She doesn't post that she's going to watch the upcoming sports game on her employer's time.
    Wow. I'm disappointed in this simple-living in-fighting. The idea of YMOYL is that you choose what you value. So who is Pontius Pilate here and asking, do we crucify Jesus (UL) or Barnabas (ZG)? Hey, ZG, you get a pass, but UL, who is living a very frugal lifestyle and who is walking his talk, gets crucified because he has sinned against the simple living religion by taking a cruise. No, not just one cruise, but a number of trips outside the US borders, which qualifies him as a simple living heretic.

We can judge each other's spending habits, but there is so much to admire in each of the unique ways in which we live out our simple living lives. I admire UL's minimalism and frugality; I admire ZGs commitment and passion for her teaching; I admire Yppej's independence and integrity.

God knows if stones were to be justly thrown in the simple living department, I'd better duck.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hindsight is 20-20 and when we make decisions with the best information we have at the time not knowing how things will turn out. If we got do overs in life no one would make mistakes.

Thread Information