Thread: What About the Democrats?

What About the Democrats?

I think we’re all aware of the many opportunities the Republican Party will have to embarrass itself over the next 2-4 years, but I’m also interested in how the Democrats will deal with their situation in the same period. Apart from the astonishing (at least to me) defeat of a presidential candidate that had seemed almost inevitable, in terms of national and state offices held, they are at something of a low ebb. Now that they are shorn (at least seemingly so, I may be wrong) of the Clinton domination, it will be interesting to see what direction they will take.

In the gaudy Trump years to come, it would seem easy to position the party as the moderate pragmatists, waiting to pick up the pieces if Trump’s exuberant promises fail to materialize?

Or will they double down on class and identity politics, painting the GOP as the party of rich, out of touch bigots? Wait for the demographic tide to turn in their favor, while exerting more effort to hang onto groups they may have been taking a bit for granted?

Will they look for ways to reach out to the Trump voters (or at least the stereotype currently being projected of them)? This would probably require them to tone down the insulting accusations of racism and homophobia that seems to have been so prevalent over the past year or two.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as the new party leadership over the next year or two.

My guess is the Democratic Party will double down on the very same ideologies which gave the Republicans the Executive and Legislative branches as well as the vast majority of State Governorships and State Legislatures.

While it's too early to tell that for sure, the very fact that the Democratic Caucus in the House today decided to put off re-electing Nancy Pelosi to a leadership position should tell us what sort of triangulation in going on.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I wish now would be the time that the millennials and others ready for change start a viable third party. I know this won't happen in my lifetime but I wish it could

Thread Information