Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Trump's children get top security clearance?

Will Trump's children get top security clearance?

I've heard that Trump wants his children to have top security clearance. Is this reasonable or crazy?

What does "top security clearance" mean?

What levels of clearance are there? What do the various levels give you access to? Who determines this?

What is "clearance" in the first place?

It's kind of crazy given I thought they were also supposed to manage Trump's "blind trust". I see a conflict of interest - and I expect a top security clearance would make insider trading (or whatever you would call having pre-knowledge of government workings) very tempting.

If they were managing it, it wouldn't be a blind trust.
    However there are many levels of security clearance. I expect in this case, it is more about access (being able to walk into a room, as his daughter did when she was a kid, etc). I also expect they get some kind of normal background check, as a support structure for the president, as normal families talk.

Definitely. With their hunting experience, Uday and Qusay can confidently shoot any lions or tigers that threaten the President. Best security ever.

Cathy, this whole thing left reasonable/crazy territory when he mocked the disabled reporter and admitted to groping women, and still got elected.

I think the reasonable/crazy train has left us.

My feeling is that a president, or anyone else in public office, needs to work very hard at avoiding even the appearance of impropriety. If they want the public to have full trust in them and their decisions.

Clearly, Trump does not feel the same way. His kids will be running his blind trust. It's hard to imagine there won't be some degree of communication both ways.

He wants his kids to have security clearance. I'd like to know exactly why. Why would a president's offspring need this? Answer: They don't. But clearly Trump wants them to, perhaps because he plans on using them as advisors.

In any case, it all has more than a little appearance of impropriety to me. And therefore potential lawsuits in the making. Trump has been involved in over 4,000 lawsuits. He clearly doesn't care about them.

I have read conflicting info on this, some saying he never asked for the clearance, some saying he asked and was denied, some saying his kids don't want it anyway so I don't know who to believe. But if he asked for it, he's really something, to be polite

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What does "top security clearance" mean?

What levels of clearance are there? What do the various levels give you access to? Who determines this?

What is "clearance" in the first place?
    Bump...

Awesomized (6).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    I have read conflicting info on this, some saying he never asked for the clearance, some saying he asked and was denied, some saying his kids don't want it anyway so I don't know who to believe. But if he asked for it, he's really something, to be polite
    What I've read is that once he is president, he doesn't have to ask, he can just give them the clearance. But usually there's a background check, so I think they would still have to pass that.

Reading between the lines of Trump's latest denial about the clearances, I think he's inquired about getting the clearances, but hasn't officially requested them. And all the denials are specifically mentioning "top level" clearances, which still leaves lower-level clearances to be considered.

The denials are very specific--not "top level," "nothing's been filed." Which means to me that someone is considering at least some of the children for some level of security clearance, but hasn't applied for it yet. There has not been a flat out denial that the clearances are not going to be applied for at some time.

Thread Information