Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looks like we need a new vacuum

looks like we need a new vacuum

if you read my other post about my losses against pets; i am now coming to the conclusion that the vacuum is send out more dust then its probably picking up; and dh and i are allergic to all the dust buggies; again another sigh

we purchased this vacuum because consumer reports indicated it was a good economical vacuum; only to find that the manufacturer did not make the vacuum so that it would seal properly or something like that; and it blows out dust

so ideas for an economical vacuum; i need a light weight vacuum as i have weakness in my arms which makes it difficult for me to maneuver the vacuum; i would also like one with an option with; can't think of the word; but you know the parts that you use to vacuum tight areas

maybe need to get two different vacuums which i am not opposed to doing if its a reasonable price

what works for you? i will take all input; i am trying to have an open mind about this despite all that i wrote above
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

Mighty Mite by Eureka. Its small, lightweight, and does a great job. It does use disposal bags. We have one that's about 15 years old and the bearings are going. We were looking at the newer models recently and they are much improved over ours. Ours is all plastic and the new ones are metal. The price reflects this as the price is around $150; ours cost $69.95. We will be buying a new one soon.

I am totally in love with my Roomba vacuuming robot. I got mine from irobot.com, but I've seen them in Target as well. The base model is about $200. Using a normal vacuum hurts my back as well as blowing allergens into the air. Roomba does neither.

We use a HEPA Miele. Got a floor model, so less $$ than full price. You can find them rebuilt & used. ZERO dust, and it is a fantastic vacuum.

thanks for the suggestions; will investigate; dh and i need to sit down and look at what improvements we want to do and things we need to buy; he wants the whole first floor done in fake wood flooring; whatever that is; so maybe i will wait on the vacuum until i see what the situation is; but will write down all suggestions
    "I 'll walk where my own nature would be leading. It vexes me to choose another guide" Emily Bronte

I am loving my Rainbow vacuum. They are crazy expensive new but there are tons of them used on ebay and craigslist. ! got mine for free when someone moved. No filters, absolutely no dust. Hands down the best vacuum I have ever used.

About 3-4 years ago we bought a Sanitaire canister vac with HEPA filters. It is fabulous. Previously I had a Hoover that perished after only 5 years of normal household use - it was held together with duct tape in several places. Sanitaire is the commercial division of Electrolux; I think our model was being phased out, and it's possible they've changed the name on all of them to Electrolux now. It's got far more metal on it than any vacuum I've ever owned.

We are also in love with the Miele but haven't purchased yet. DH does the vacuuming (!) and seems content for the moment with our piece of s____!

i have one of the bright yellow dysons and i love it. it was the only silver lining to my fella having an almost- fatal asthma attack last fall. i HATE vacuuming usually, but the dyson works so well and is so well designed that i actually enjoy it now.

we got it for $290 at costco. i think typically they are a bit more than that.
    Wear the Shift: Dresses for everyone!

I LOVE my Dyson...we have the little orange one and two kitty cats....absolutely no dust, hair, or litter escapes this little vaccum....it gets in all the tight spaces and is very light and easy to use.

Thread Information