Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good article about The Great Paradox of Trump voters

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    About as much superior understanding as assuming the heroine addicts next hit is NOT actually in their self-interest. Afterall they sure think it is.

I mean suicide is one's right, but generally getting sick and dying of environmental toxins is not in the self-interest of people who choose to live.
    But when their self-anointed betters in effect tell them "You are dispensable, but the planet is not" and they react negatively, is that acting against their self-interest?

When they're advised that they can get all kinds of lovely free stuff in exchange for a few minor liberties, and they fail to trust those gaudy promises, is that acting against their self interest?

When the elites lecture them about clinging to their guns or their religion, and they decline submission to the latest version of "hope and change", are they acting against their self-interest?

That was a disturbing article. I see how resentful working-class white men might not grasp that it's not the historically oppressed woman and minorities that are taking jobs away and channeling all their tax dollars into wars and fat-cat subsidies, and so lash out--I guess. The government has long been in collusion with the corporatists and will continue to be, probably. But I don't see how the "mechanical genius" profiled in the article could work for two days at such a dangerous job and not think to himself "I can do better than this." I believe such of ingrained fatalism is part of the problem, and may be why gun ownership and church memberships are so important to these men--you get your agency where you can.

But I don't see how the "mechanical genius" profiled in the article could work for two days at such a dangerous job and not think to himself "I can do better than this." I believe such of ingrained fatalism is part of the problem, and may be why gun ownership and church memberships are so important to these men--you get your agency where you can.
    maybe he can't do better than that, maybe he has tried to find better jobs and not succeeded.
    Trees don't grow on money

Mechanical geniuses are in demand pretty much everywhere, aren't they? He seemed to have thrived in Seattle--certainly he could have gone back there.

Thread Information