Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch out for what you pray for....

Iris lilies, you made me think of the time my dad asked the guy across the street if he could have some of his horse manure. The guy asked "how many buckets?" And my father pictured 20 gallon buckets. He said "well, maybe ten if you don't mind - would you like me to move it?" And the guy said "no , it's no problem, I have to scoop it up anyway. Where would you like it?" And dad said "oh, just pile it anywhere along the side of the garden."

then he came home from work and discovered that the guy meant "tractor buckets" there was a huge mound of uncomposted manure all down the side of the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Iris lilies, you made me think of the time my dad asked the guy across the street if he could have some of his horse manure. The guy asked "how many buckets?" And my father pictured 20 gallon buckets. He said "well, maybe ten if you don't mind - would you like me to move it?" And the guy said "no , it's no problem, I have to scoop it up anyway. Where would you like it?" And dad said "oh, just pile it anywhere along the side of the garden."

then he came home from work and discovered that the guy meant "tractor buckets" there was a huge mound of uncomposted manure all down the side of the garden.

CL, wow, now I'm feeling glad I have wood chips and not uncomposted manure!! I'd DEFINITELY get some unfriendly visits from the neighbors.

IL, after what you said about 120 buckets, I'm also not feeling sorry for myself about transporting the wood chips with my little garden cart. DH bought this cart last year at Home Depot, and he is crazy about it. I've never seen anyone so excited about a little 4-wheeled garden cart. But I have to admit it's VERY handy. In fact, he even loaded it up with ice, beer and water and rolled it out to the curb during a neighborhood 5k last year. (Interesting note: The runners all snagged the water, while the walkers all chose the beer. I wonder what that means?)

I'm using the wood chips for weed control, kind of, but also to keep the moisture in the garden. It's going to be 92 here today, and we'll probably see a lot more of that over the next weeks.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, check out this article by a lady who uses wood chips in her vegetable garden:
    http://learningandyearning.com/wood-chips
    Disclaimer--Iuse straw in mine, so I only know about that, but I definitely only garden with heavy mulch. Only way to fly.

Thread Information