Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving thanks for meeting my 2016 goals

Wonderful!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    How is the sale of BIL's house going?
    Don't ask. I'm really aggravated, to be honest. We STILL haven't listed it. Here is our to-do list before we can list it:

--get rid of 3 pieces of large out-dated furniture and some assorted junk
    --tidy up the front yard for curb appeal
    --do a good cleaning job on the inside (but there's not a lot to clean--BIL has done a good job of clearing out all the clutter).

I feel my job was to put up the cost of the bathroom updates and the other repairs we did to make it ready for sale, and since I'm the breadwinner, frankly, I don't have time to do anything else. Those two guys have all the time in the world to do those three things I've listed which would take two days at most.

First we were waiting to have a garage sale. Well, we did that, and made a paltry $50.00. I don't know what they're waiting for now, but it's difficult because of the strange dynamic between BIL and DH. BIL needs to be told EXACTLY what to do before he does it, and DH has a problem with perfectionism--these little things are paralyzing him. I told to just put the gosh darned For Sale sign up and then if there's stuff we have to do later, we can do it!!

Oh, and last month BIL came to me crying (literally crying--like sobbing) because he can't pay the property taxes and he said that if I pay them he'll pay me back with interest at the closing. AND he assumes that just because it's winter we shouldn't list it because we won't get top dollar, like we would in the spring. I pointed out to him that people DO buy houses in the winter--in fact, we bought HIS house between Christmas and New Year's.

I know it sounds like I'm being uber-passive, but there is another variable involved which I won't go into here. I'm doing the best I can to get them moving, but I think that more than a project manager they both need psychological help.

ETA: Thanks for your support, everyone!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have noticed that while the traffic is down in winter, the lookers tend to be more serious buyers, so I think it balances out.

Right on! Congratulations...that's an amazing accomplishment!

Well Done! Please share how did you do this????

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
    Well Done! Please share how did you do this????
    Here's how..

1) The main thing was, I was able to meet my income goal. I was just lucky, but I did work hard and said yes to every project.

2) I try as much as possible to adhere to Dave Ramsey's principles: i.e., eat beans and rice until you are completely out of debt. I do give myself a pressure valve by eating out now and then and some other splurges, but I am relatively frugal. I eat mostly plant-based diet, I can't stand the thought of spending a $1.50 for coffee, I don't drink soda and I don't store treats in the house. If I'm that desperate for a candy bar, I'll walk to the store and buy it. I work from home, so I have 3 outfits for clients in neutral colors and classic styles, so my clothing budget is pretty low. I buy yoga pants for $16 from Old Navy and wear them every day until they wear out. I don't have any expensive hobbies. My "gazingus pin" (Your Money or Your Life term) is the One-Click feature on Amazon for books for my Kindle, but I'm a cheap date overall.

3) I keep a budget, and I'm a fanatic about writing down every penny, and analyzing the income and outgo at the end of every month. I use Mint and YNAB (You Need A Budget)

4) I also have a separate Baby Step 2 (Dave Ramsey lingo) Excel spreadsheet, where my debts are listed, smallest to largest, and I update the totals every month.

5) If I make more than I expected, I throw it at my debt.

6) If I make less than expected, I take it from my emergency fund and/or adjust my budget. I don't add to my debt.

Those are the major strategies.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wow That is simple, but requires dedication! So well worth it!! Congratulations. We have a family of 5 on one budget I will try to follow your principles.

This is a really helpful outline Catherine. I find myself going through and checking off what I am doing and where I need work. I need work on number 3; I think that is where I need to be focusing right now. I really need to work on recording--it is my stumbling block, and I think you are right, it is vital. Other than that, I am pretty much on the same path.

I love the way you have analyzed the situation as a whole. That is what I have been working on for a year now, and I have gotten very good at recording what I have in each account and what how the accounts fit together. Don't have debt, but do have lift choices to make about where to go from here so that we can sustain our lives throughout our retirement, and choices to make about work and retirement, and where to live. We don't have the uber healthy income that you have, so we have to cobble things together in other ways.

One goal I have had for years and never done and have finally started is a cd ladder with a year of living expenses. Next month I will be there, and I have absolutely loved setting it up and getting that money out of the spending stream. That might be something to add to the outline-- it's kind of Dave Ramsey Baby Step 3 but with a twist--I want both a classic emergency fund and a 12 month (actually I want 18 months, but I'll be at 12 next month, so I want to celebrate) living expenses ladder. With his Step 3, he just says 3-6 months of living expenses, but then where are you supposed to get the money for the emergencies like busted transmission?

Thread Information