Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visit to dentist in Mexico went well!

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Printing out this thread and filing it. Very useful info. Especially the bus between the cities. I know we usually have a good rate to Cancun from a local airport.
    How far in advance did you book your dental appointment? Would love to have your info on dentist, hotel, etc.
    Maybe you could plan a future group trip and guide us all around!
    Count me in to this group tour to Mexico. The C$ is struggling with travel to the US these days
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That would be fun! I would want to plan for 2017 I think, in early December, since I just got back. I could just meet everyone at airport either in Cancun or Merida! Get your passports up to date everyone! I booked my dentist, flight and hotel 5 weeks in advance so as to get cheap airfare, hotel and to give dentist enough time to schedule me in. But I researched for a few weeks before that, so I knew where I wanted to get a hotel (Centro area!), the dentist that I wanted, and how I wanted to get there (through Cancun, to make it a bit cheaper as I can use Southwest airlines credit card points and then I just take the luxury bus over). I also researched ahead of time what day tours I wanted to go on, and what free activities I wanted to do while in the city. I did research the restaurants also, but it worked out better to just speak to locals after I got there, which ones were good and cheap. Merida is a more traditional, much safer city than Cancun. It is not so Americanized as is the Cancun area. It is also less expensive. Quite a number of the people are Mayan descent, so speak a Mayan dialect as a native language. I have tentative plans to visit Chiapas next time; Spanish not very useful there as it is not much used in the villages up in the mountains.
    I would advise those going for first time, who are not familiar with travel to Mexico, to fly into the airport in Merida rather than Cancun. Because the whole bus thing could be nerve-racking if you don't speak Spanish and/or are not experienced with traveling in Mexico. Then just get a taxi to your hotel.

Thread Information