Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Upstairs Downstairs Series

Old Upstairs Downstairs Series

The public library has a complete set of DVD's of this program. I am about to start Season Three and enjoying the story very much. The relationships are quite complex and seem realistic to me. I have the vaguest memory of seeing one or two episodes during the 1970s. The Bellamy's, the parents, seem pretty stable but their two children have one problem with relationships after another. The only theme I noticed that's getting too repetitive is the Bellamy's tend to buy there way out of problems. Buying people off and sending them away. A few come back and again, they have to buy off the person. There's a point where the money runs out and then what do you do?

The acting is quite strong and I really don't know what might happen next. I like the sets for the house interiors. And, everybody is quite well dressed for period.

If you never saw this, it's worth a look. There are six seasons in all and a follow up years later. Not sure if that's a sequel or just a revisit.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I love Upstairs Downstairs.

A production from the same time period is Duchess of Duke Street which is impecable in sets and costume.sme of those 70's productions didnt stand the test of time in things like hairstyles, makeup, etc.

I remember watching this with my grandmother as a kid. I'm going to request the DVD set from the library. Thanks for the review!

Oh, gosh, I love Upstairs Downstairs! And I've got my eye on a DVD set of Duchess on ebay!

I love that series and always refer to Downton Abbey as the newer, not quite as good version but with a much bigger budget. Each episode was staged like a play, and I learned a lot about British history from the show. And comparing it to the new U/D, the home seemed much more realistic in size for the type of home it was set in (townhomesin Belgravia). On one trip to London I took pics of 165 Eaton Place, and the home they used for the exterior shots (on a different street).

Oh well I wondered if 165 Eaton Place does exist. What fun! Downtown Abbey compares somewhat to this story as Marjorie and Cora both brought a large fortune to the marriage. Both appear to have been arranged marriages but the two formed a partnership along the way and made a comfortable life and home for a family. The Crawley's I think are higher up in class than the Bellamy's.

The episode with daughter Lizzy joining the Suffragetes is absolutely horrid. Rose gets caught up in the rock throwing and taken off to jail with the other women. I was stunned to see how women were treated in the courtroom. No wonder they fought so hard for the vote. No wonder such anger was on display during this movement. I believe nothing would have been accomplished if these women didn't throw rocks at the establishment. I mean they force feed the women on hunger strike. Probably gave a few aspirated pneumonia too. Gads it was hideous to think about.

Downtown Abbey opens with the sinking of the Titanic. Marjorie just set sail for New York on the same. Son James is a cad again chasing after the secretary and generally being his selfish self. He's almost likeable at times until he reveals the shallowness of his character. Since I cancelled cable tv, I'm having fun watching these long tv series I never saw. Three cheers for the public library.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

OP, I am very glad that you've discovered the wonderful tv series held by your public library.

I have never had cable tv, and
    I get a wealth of dvds from the library. I also have a Netflix subscription. Watch a ton of streaming tirles at the ha me of my feiend, but most of those are available on dvd. In fact, we are warching a Danish show called The Borgen that is NOT abailable thru any of the standard U.S. Streaming services.

I rewatched the DVDs last year from my library. They revived the series too, but it didn't last long. I liked it but it had low ratings. I wish my library would get season one and two of The Forsyte Saga. Another good one is Wives and Daughters.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    I rewatched the DVDs last year from my library. They revived the series too, but it didn't last long. I liked it but it had low ratings. I wish my library would get season one and two of The Forsyte Saga. Another good one is Wives and Daughters.
    I love both of those!

There was a good BBC series about the Pankhursts and the Suffragette movement in the Uk. It was made in the mid-70s, I think. It was called Shoulder to Shoulder and starred Sian Phillips as Emmeline Pankhurst.

I don't think it has ever neen repeated on TV. It was a talking point for many a feminist group and amongst female students.

I have a number of pieces of Suffragette jewellry, which is collected avidly here.

Thread Information