Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist attack at OSU?

Terrorist attack at OSU?

Have you all seen this? There was an attack at OSU -- very near the building I take classes in. Frightening.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...tate/94563226/

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Have you all seen this? There was an attack at OSU -- very near the building I take classes in. Frightening.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...tate/94563226/
    Is he Muslim? I guess the newspaper didn't want to go out on a limb and name his religious affilitation because really, how would they know?

I would LOVE to be in the back of your classroom if you all will be discussng this sad incident.

Lucky there was someone very nearby with a weapon and some training/skill to deal with it.

But why is it "frightening"?

Was it a terrorist or someone with a mental disorder or vendetta? Of course it is frightening when this happens. This is the time of year when individuals with serious mental problems or terrorist want to attack. There isn't much on the news about this yet, so keep us informed.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Lucky there was someone very nearby with a weapon and some training/skill to deal with it.

Why ask why? Of course it's frightening when something like that happens so close to home, school, work, loved ones, etc.

Bomb threat by work today, shooting at a school I've taken classes at recently as well. It's a violent country we live in.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Is he Muslim? I guess the newspaper didn't want to go out on a limb and name his religious affilitation because really, how would they know?

I would LOVE to be in the back of your classroom if you all will be discussng this sad incident.
    The news eventually reported that the attacker was Islamic and an immigrant and that he went on a radical Islamic tirade on Facebook just before he attacked. I am curious how my social work professors will react. They cancelled classes yesterday and offered counseling -- which I think was a good idea. I don't think that classes will do group therapy for this incident though.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It is frightening for several reasons. When a terrorist attack occurs so close to you it ceases to be mayhem on a screen and becomes mayhem in your community. Also: I don't think people are going to want to talk about the mother lode of bad ideas that is in Islam. So heads will go back into the sand. Yet another issue is training. Not enough students, faculty, and staff are trained on how to deal with these situations. I took "active shooter" training. I have a black belt in Ju Jitsu. And that puts me light years ahead of most folks. But people ought to get some training in evasion, first aid, self-defense, and -- above all -- serious and in-depth training into situational awareness. That is just my two cents.

For many reasons this article is worth reading. http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/us/ohi...ersity-attack/

I am very glad you are okay; I was worried about you when I saw where this happened. Thank you for checking in and letting us know you are okay.

Thread Information