Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patagonia donates millions to environmental causes

Patagonia donates millions to environmental causes

As I mentioned in the November frugals thread, Patagonia said it was going to donate all of its Black Friday sales to grassroots environmental groups.

Well, here is the follow up:

Black Friday is a consumeristic nightmare – but there are some companies using the day for good. Last week Patagonia announced plans to donate all of its Black Friday sales to charity, and they wound up pulling in a grand total of $10 million – five times the amount they originally predicted. The money will go towards grassroots environmental groups fighting the wave of climate change deniers moving into Washington D.C. next year.
    http://inhabitat.com/patagonia-is-do...riday-profits/

Wow. They have earned a spot on my "voting with my dollar" short list.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This company is fantastic! Who knows if larger companies will follow its' lead but they would do well to if the environmental crisis is to be abated. Companies need to figure out how to prevent pollution in the first place and how to fund solutions, not try to paper over growing crises. Patagonia is inspiring and setting a good example.

Do you think that we could avoid catastrophic climate change if every company behaved like Patagonia?

Yppej
    I looked at their prices and no wonder they can afford to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I looked at their prices and no wonder they can afford to do this.
    Their clothes aren't cheap but they are very high quality. And they have annual sales. Last year I bought one of their light windbreaker/raincoats: https://www.patagonia.com/product/wo...&start=1&sz=24

I brought it up here to VT for the summer.. the summer has bled into the winter and since I thought I was going to be back in NJ by now, I have NO winter clothes. In Vermont. But I've been wearing this jacket over a hooded sweatshirt and I've been fine. Also, the quality of workmanship in the detail is incredible. And, I just like buying from them and supporting their mission. I believe I'll have this jacket for years. If I own it for 12 years, and keep it for 10, that's $13 a year.

In some cases you get what you pay for. I wouldn't buy one of their $35 t-shirts, but I will invest in their outerwear. In fact, I'm waiting for a good winter coat to go on sale.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I think that the Patagonia thing is a big scam. Think about how much environmental destruction is needed to run their business. Same for REI (and I am a co-op member!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I think that the Patagonia thing is a big scam. Think about how much environmental destruction is needed to run their business. Same for REI (and I am a co-op member!).
    Environmental destruction is needed for any big business, unfortunately. You might as well choose one that tries to give back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#7805eeec12ae

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Environmental destruction is needed for any big business, unfortunately. You might as well choose one that tries to give back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#7805eeec12ae
    How about "least bad" for the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    How about "least bad" for the environment?
    Which outdoor/clothing business is "least bad"?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Which outdoor/clothing business is "least bad"?
    Perhaps Patagonia.

My point is that how good can you really feel about assaulting the planet slightly less brutally?

Thread Information