Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patagonia donates millions to environmental causes

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Perhaps Patagonia.

My point is that how good can you really feel about assaulting the planet slightly less brutally?

I know. But people are going to buy tents and parkas, and backpacks. They might as well buy them from a company that runs ads telling them NOT to buy their products, and one that does their own research on how bad the raw materials are for the planet so they can design clothes that eliminate or minimize their use, and which markets and sells their own used clothes and who only hires farmers who use sustainable farming practices and who turns back profits back to the environment and who bakes sustainability into their core values.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I know. But people are going to buy tents and parkas, and backpacks. They might as well buy them from a company that runs ads telling them NOT to buy their products, and one that does their own research on how bad the raw materials are for the planet so they can design clothes that eliminate or minimize their use, and which markets and sells their own used clothes and who only hires farmers who use sustainable farming practices and who turns back profits back to the environment and who bakes sustainability into their core values.
    Patagonia is not even remotely close to sustainable. You know this.

Their ads and such are meant to help you clear your conscience... and then buy!

Patagonia is not even remotely close to sustainable. You know this.

Their ads and such are meant to help you clear your conscience... and then buy!
    So, again, tell me a company that sells similar products that is more sustainable.

Yes, you should use what you have

Then you should fix what you have

Then if you can't you should buy a used whatever

But if you are going to buy, again I ask, where do you go? To the local lady on the corner who quilts down parkas and sells them? I haven't seen one--even up here in Vermont. (Although I do have a set of mittens that I bought from a local woman who upcycles old sweaters.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

First off, I apologize that I am causing you all this cognitive dissonance.

So, again, tell me a company that sells similar products that is more sustainable.
    Instead of "more sustainable" why not say "slower in its destruction of nature and depletion resources?"
    Because even if every company pulled a Patagonia this planet will still burn.

But I don't think there are any companies that are actually sustainable. None.

Yes, you should use what you have
    I agree.

Then you should fix what you have
    Sure!

Then if you can't you should buy a used whatever
    Yeah, I mean, I guess so.

But if you are going to buy, again I ask, where do you go? To the local lady on the corner who quilts down parkas and sells them? I haven't seen one--even up here in Vermont.
    I go where ever to buy what I want/"need."
    Why, you ask?
    Because we're watching the credits of the movie, Catherine. That is why. This show is over. Enjoy the background music while it fades to black. No need to worry anymore.

I go where ever to buy what I want/"need."
    Why, you ask?
    Because we're watching the credits of the movie, Catherine. That is why. This show is over. Enjoy the background music while it fades to black. No need to worry anymore.
    Oh.

Well, I guess I better go out and buy some sub-zero Patagonia outerwear and store it in my prepper shed.

Oh.

Well, I guess I better go out and buy some sub-zero Patagonia outerwear and store it in my prepper shed.

Well, y'all can wallow in your apocalysm all you want, but I don't think the world will end in any of our lifetimes. It makes a cheery talking point, I guess; I would save the jeremiads for at least the second or third date if I were you, Ultralight.

More sustainable as far as clothing would probably be made from natural materials not synthetics.
    Trees don't grow on money

From what I have read about Chouinard I believe he is truly interested in helping the environment and it's not all just a marketing ploy. Although marketing is a part of a successful business. They offer trade ins on lightly worn Patagonia clothing. They make their fleece using recycled plastics and use organic cotton. I have a few items of clothing that I picked up on sales and it's quality stuff made to wear well and last. I don't know of any other clothing manufacturer who has as high a level of corporate responsibility.

I can't afford to outfit my wardrobe with all Patagonia, but it sort of gets back to buying quality things from a company that cares. It certainly beats no account brands who sell lower quality goods and their clothing is sometimes worth paying a little extra. I recently noticed that Ibex has gone under. I've paid a premium for their wool outerwear. Another good company that couldn't compete with lower quality brands with questionable responsibility.

I think bottom line is that it's a good idea to know a little bit about the supply chain of what ever a person chooses to buy.

They might do a lot of ethical corporate practices, probably especially the clothing made to last, still though black friday stuff, how can that not be marketing gimmick. I mean when you get into the realm of black friday sales hello.

I have my doubts that plastic is much sustainable at all, the plastic situation seems out of control (you can hardly even recycle it anymore) so I almost suspect any type of natural fiber (even made from pesticide loaded cotton) is better.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information