Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kids Stuff - Toys/books/etc -how to handle?

I realized after posting that I hadn't updated since December. Well, I had managed to reduce some toys before Christmas. But not as much as I'd have liked. So this project continues.

One thing I did find is that my cleaning lady (who is from El Salvador) regularly sends toys and clothes and books back to her family to distribute to people. So she is willing to take a lot of the toys and books. She gets first choice and the rest goes to Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    One thing I did find is that my cleaning lady (who is from El Salvador) regularly sends toys and clothes and books back to her family to distribute to people. So she is willing to take a lot of the toys and books. She gets first choice and the rest goes to Goodwill.
    I love that!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

There's lots of good ideas out there for gifts other than toys. Here's one: http://www.raisingmemories.com/2013/...ift-ideas.html
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Haven't been able to get folks to get on board with the "gifts other than toys" except for shifting people to books--and we have a ton of books. I went through my kids books this weekend with their help, and we managed to fill two large reusable grocery bags with books we do not need to keep. I still have about 500 books left on their bookshelf, but at least they are organized and we even put labels on the shelves (Non-fiction, Readers, Fairy-tales and Myths, Bible Stories, Harry Potter, Spanish, etc). Overall, still a win in my book.

I noticed that my DIL was RUTHLESS when they moved from one home to another. She gave away everything to charity thrift shops. She has no attachment to things.

With regard to my GS, she gets things from second hand stores, so she has no problem "recycling" them whenever he starts to lose interest. It's not like she has money invested in the toys. I think his one constant is his "baby iPad" but other than that, she is completely emotionally detached to stuff. In fact, she's going to have GS#2 in April, and I wonder if she regrets giving away everything she did--which included all kinds of baby equipment, but probably not. I think she prefers a clutter-free house.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If you buy second hand and donate as soon as you are done with it - then buy second hand again when second baby is born --- its as if you rented the equipment cause it's so cheap. I love living that way. Clutter free is awesome.