Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number 1 best thing about attaining financial independence

Number 1 best thing about attaining financial independence

Woke up this morning with this thought/thankfulness:
    The #1 advantage for me in finally attaining FI, is increased ability to liberate myself from the control of toxic damaging persons.
    What about you? I would imagine that the answer would vary with different people.

Having recently retired, my numero uno thing is not having to roll out of bed at 5:30 am. I imagine it changes as the realization hits that toil is no longer necessary.

I am still working, and since I am not really at FI yet, I guess I would say "increased ability to liberate myself from the control of toxic damaging work situations."

I guess both of the above comments are all about CHOICE. The ability to choose your own schedule for work, who you work with, what work you do, etc. Really, FI is not about NOT working; it is about choice in work. Even if your work consists, at times, of "dreaming" or fantasizing for hours on end.

My FI moment came when I didn't have to meet another's expectations which often were limiting in scope. When one sees a healthcare need and cannot respond it is so frustrating.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love being in charge of my own time, no more stupid rules, regs, etc. Also my new p.t. job which is teaching an online college class that I love.

How do you define FI, Packratonia? I make my living teaching online--used to be ft but now part-time, and it is a part of how I pay the bills. Do you define FI as not having to work at all to pay the bills?

Tybee, I did not realize we both did the same thing. Some people define it as not needing to earn $ to support yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, I did not realize we both did the same thing. Some people define it as not needing to earn $ to support yourself.
    Yup, I have been teaching online for 12 years now.

I think I try to support myself now so as to not go into principal, for fear that I would outlast my money. That;s where I think the idea of FI gets tricky. So if, for example, someone retired expecting ACA to bridge gap until Medicare, and now thinks going back to work a necessity, then have they lost FI?

I think your second post, CHOICE, is more apt. To me it is peace of mind, to be able to choose if I want to buy something or not, not to have the mortgage payment over my head etc. I only wish that feeling went with utility bills, etc. as I have the money in the account, but still live with them in the paycheck to paycheck mindset. (consider savings, FOR something, not just normal life expenses)
    Unfortunately, there is only so much control one has when it comes to toxic individuals.

Thread Information