Thread: Quilt alongs, mystery quilts and other fun stuff

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Quilt alongs, mystery quilts and other fun stuff

I posted on another thread and did not want to derail it so thought I would start a new one. The Internet and Facebook are a treasure trove for crafters who want to learn, share, and get tons of free patterns and ideas. I am going to list some that I like and am doing. I have not bought any fabric for these. I am using scraps and donated fabric people give to me. Please chime in and list your favorite craft links and ideas

first is the splendid sampler, 100 free six inch blocks and more bonus blocks plus lots of free patterns.
    Www.splendidsampler.com. I have 81 done and put together and quilted. The blocks come down in February so if you want to save them do so now.

Bonnie Hunter does a mystery quilt every year, one is going on now. Details can be found at her website www.quiltville.com. Go to her blog and look for en Provence. Again, this will come down as a free pattern when the quilts are done. She also has a link to free patterns she generously shares. I just finished this weeks clue.

I am also doing a Moda project. "Be my neighbor". The free blocks might be at your local quilt shop, but if not there are lots of online sources. These are big blocks, the smallest is 9x18 but most are larger. I am caught up with my houses and this quilt will be sold and the proceeds donated to a charity that fixes up houses for the working poor in the worst area of our neighboring town. Similar to habitat but the people end up with a refurbished trailer or double wide and a small mortgage of a few hundred dollars. They mentor the families and really give them a hand up. Many of the youth have gone on to have successful military careers, and some have gone to trade school or college. They are really breaking the cycle of generational poverty.

I follow all these projects on Facebook and it is a ton of fun to see everyone's progress. It is a wonderful world of fun, kind and generous crafters out there. Facebook and Pinterest areis wonderful platforms to share and learn. You just have to ignore the fake news and political stuff.

Is is anyone else doing these quilt alongs or have more to share of quilting or any craft?

I am already saving all of these. Bonnie's is ready to start and the Moda one might be next. I like the idea of making one and using it to generate some donations. I might approach our Habitat for something like this. Or make a wallhanging for each dedication.

Thread Information