Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 a Day for December

5 a Day for December

So, now we're into a new month, and I enjoyed Danna's 5 a Day for November so much, I thought I would jump in and start a new one for December.

Today I recycled two Chinese food containers with matching lids, and I'm taking (yet another) bag o' books to the public library.

This has been a tremendous eye-opener as to how many books I own, and how few I've read or want to reread. Yesterday I finished rereading one and I know I don't want to reread it yet again. Plus it is Annie Proulx and easily available in a library.

Feel free to jump in!

I'm in the process of filling up the car for another delivery to the thrift store. Then I'll begin again.

Cleaned out my office and a closet and 2 garbage bags went to the thrift store today. About 2 years ago I cleaned out my office closet and threw everything away. I don't think I kept a thing. Now it is at least full of stuff I actually use. Sometimes a good friend of mine will get something from her Mom that she might only use 1x/year but wants. So if it is something I would use too then I take it home and we pass it back and forth. I have more room then her even though my house is smaller because she stores things for her daughter that lives in tiny apartment with 2 kids.

Books can really accumulate. A move finally cured me of keeping books. Now I probably have only about 20 in total.

A couple more plastic food containers, plus I shredded a lot of papers and recycled more. I was saving letters from nearly 20 years ago saying that my student loans were paid off. I realized I had never had an issue with anyone saying they weren't. Plus I had several unofficial transcripts of my grades. Why keep that, when I can pay $5 or whatever and get official transcripts should I ever need them?

Also took more books off the shelves and added them to the giveaway box.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I crushed a couple of small cardboard boxes for recycling.

Ok, I can't commit to 5 items a day, but I can commit to 5 minutes a day.

so, I am going to spend at least 5 minutes every day working on a problem area, with the goal being to continue until I find something to get rid of or finish cleaning out/organizing the area, whichever comes first. (It's possible I could clean out and organize an area without discarding anything if, for example, many of the items are moved to new homes.)

today i I threw out some socks, but that didn't take 5 minutes, so I will do the 5 minutes in my pottery studio where I can definitely organize for more than 5 minutes!

More books, plus I threw out some old file folders and recycled papers from the folders.

On a side note: I have those green hanging file folders with the metal bars that hold them on a track in the drawer. Has anyone else noticed that these break really easily? The glue deteriorates and then the bar slides from side to side, allowing the folder to collapse into the drawer and become a big mess. Maybe I have overloaded my folders and broken them?

In my 5 (7) minutes I partly cleared out a corner and found some more packaging I can take in to my classroom tomorrow.

next week the kids are taking home all the Christmas gifts they made and the packaging supply is going on shrink like snow on a griddle.

i think the glue on the green folders does give out with age and changes in temp and humidity, but extra weight doesn't help. I just re-glue them.

Chicken lady, the folders are in a desk in a room in which the temp and humidity swing according to season. So that might explain it!

Today: More books!

Thread Information