Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hidden Life of Trees

The Hidden Life of Trees

This book by Peter Wohlleben is a wonder of information about trees. My DH used to tease me that I had each of the trees in our 65 acre woodlot named as I was very protective of them. There were babies, toddlers, teenagers etc to old timers. I would pat them as I went by and it broke my heart to see them harvested. If you care about trees, you will love this book but be prepared to take your time in reading it through. I had borrowed it from the library on a very limited loan period and had to scan the later parts due to a busy schedule. One day I will borrow it again. It is thoughtful, researched and gives a fresh view of life and timelines versus the human timelines. Anyone read it yet?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

You would probably enjoy this podcast about trees.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/from-t...-shining-tree/

I will see if our library has it as it would be of great interest to me. One of the things that pained me the most about selling our house recently was that I had grown to love every tree and plant in the yard. We had planted a pecan tree some fifteen years ago that was finally large and bearing nuts. We drove by one last time before leaving the city and the new owners had cut off all the lower limbs heavy with nuts and put them in trash cans. There was a cluster of unusually large gum trees by the street that my neighbor called junk trees but they were always full of birds and insects so valuable to them.

I just picked it up from the library Thursday, glad to hear the favorable review, Razz!

Thanks, jp1. Peter refers to her research with great respect in his book.

Here is a transcript as well.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/suzanne_sim...pt?language=en

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You would probably enjoy this podcast about trees.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/from-t...-shining-tree/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh razz, I just finished this book and loved it. I kept thinking, "I suspected that." Excellent!!

Wow, just looked it up at my library; it had 31 holds on it, now 32. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds wonderful.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Oh, I am thrilled to read this thread. I have spent many a happy hike in the forest talking to the trees. The people who owned the property next door planted five maple trees as a natural border to the property. They are large now and three of them really mark the perimeter of my space. I've watched them throw several dry summers and big blowing wind storms. My peach tree is five years old now and only gave fruit once. It's got the sunniest location but peaches seem to be tempermental trees. I've let it grow and grow more natural as I dislike the pruned look. This might be why I don't get fruit. But, this year, nobody in New England had a peach as we had a late spring frost that burned the buds.

I also have a Siberian olive tree in the back yard. The fruit is quite edible. I am always surprised the birds don't eat more of it. I'll take a look for this book. I will have time for leisure reading soon.

Thanks for the tip
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

I couldn't finish reading the library copy so bought my own to enjoy at my leisure. I truly believe that the world is so much more than the human intelligence that seems to dominate/invade rather than share space.

Sounds great! I hope my library has it.

Thread Information