Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: December Frugals!

Hi Everyone! Hope your holidays were good. Here, quiet.

I am trying harder to rein in food costs. I have curbed my 7-11 chicken wing habit and have been more conscientious about taking my movie theater snacks. Breaking some life-long habits here.

This December we have started a more meatless eating habit. Steel cut oats with almond milk and added fruit for breakfast was a hit. A friend gave us a black bean burger recipe and it was a hit also. Husband is going to break them up and use them as a meat substitute in his lunch bowls and we are going to experiment to make them in different flavors. So my frugal is beans and oats instead of turkey and chicken.

ps: we took advantage of the $49 heart scan at a local hospital. While the results were kind of scary, it did provide valuable information to our doctor and we know that we need to be more careful of health which includes eating.

If you would like to share the Black bean burger recipe I am all ears. Husband deathly allergic to red meat now and looking for an alternative to turkey burgers.

It is super easy. Take a can of black beans (or cook up some like we did). Mash with a fork until a sort of paste like consistency. We did not go quite that far. Now add the following: 1/2 Chopped fine green pepper, 1/2 chopped fine onion, 3 mashed fine cloves of garlic, 1 T. cumin, 1 T. chili powder, one egg, 1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs (used purchased ones). Mix well and form into patties on a greased baking sheet. Cook 10 minutes each side in 350 degree oven.

Note: We used 2 T. southwest seasoning from Penzeys and probably 1/3 of an onion. No green pepper since we don't like it. I did not chop the onions or garlic very fine. The burgers came out well, held together, and had a nice spicy taste from the seasonings. Hubby is going to use them also as a crumble and we are going to experiment with various seasonings and beans.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    It is super easy. Take a can of black beans (or cook up some like we did). Mash with a fork until a sort of paste like consistency. We did not go quite that far. Now add the following: 1/2 Chopped fine green pepper, 1/2 chopped fine onion, 3 mashed fine cloves of garlic, 1 T. cumin, 1 T. chili powder, one egg, 1/2 cup of fine breadcrumbs (used purchased ones). Mix well and form into patties on a greased baking sheet. Cook 10 minutes each side in 350 degree oven.

Note: We used 2 T. southwest seasoning from Penzeys and probably 1/3 of an onion. No green pepper since we don't like it. I did not chop the onions or garlic very fine. The burgers came out well, held together, and had a nice spicy taste from the seasonings. Hubby is going to use them also as a crumble and we are going to experiment with various seasonings and beans.
    Thank you so much!! just sent recipe to dh and we will make these this weekend after going to the grocery. He will probably be the chef for these!

Note: I drained the beans and the can was about 16 ounces. You can save a tiny bit of liquid in case you think the mix is too dry. We did not. Checked original recipe and they ground up the gr. pepper, onion and garlic in a food processor. I did not because it was so little that I did not want to clean the processor.

We will probably use the food processor and maybe even try to make extras and freeze the patties. . .

William Davis, cardiologist, used heart scans as a matter of course in his practice. Which led him to research, which led him to write Wheat Belly, a grain-free, fat and protein rich program designed to reduce inflammation, a cause (with chronic stress) of heart disease. Another voice heard from.

As a person who doesn't buy canned beans, what is the measurement of black beans you get? Thanks.

We are headed out for Christmas with my oldest sister/fam next Wednesday. So, we are eating out of the fridge/freezer as much as possible.

Last night for dinner, roasted the last of the bag of broccoli and grilled the last piece of fish we had. Grilled 2 chicken breasts as well and those will be the foundation of dinner tonight. Add some green beans or corn from the freezer.

lunches continue to be turkey meatloaf made last week (the remainder reside in the freezer), on a bed of peas/corn from the freezer.

We will make an abbreviated store run as I won't do frozen veg for an entire week...we are out of fresh fruit as of yesterday afternoon and that just won't do!

Thread Information