Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Oatmeal

Overnight Oatmeal

Quakeroats.com has Overnight Oats recipes. Have any of you tried this. Looks yummy and super easy. I am all about having food ready for myself so I don't graze.

Quote Originally Posted by ctg492 View Post
    Quakeroats.com has Overnight Oats recipes. Have any of you tried this. Looks yummy and super easy. I am all about having food ready for myself so I don't graze.
    Baked oatmeal is easy and easily reheated. It only takes 35 minutes to bake. Never tried the overnight variety because of this.

I haven't eaten oatmeal for years, but if anyone has an Instant Pot, I hear they're wonderful for steel-cut oats.

Made this today and had for late lunch. Yummy! Tomorrow is oats, yoghurt, almond milk, apples, cinnamon and chia seed.

Never have tried overnight - though I have rolled oats most mornings. My twist. Rolled whole oats, a few walnut halves
    broken up, cinnamon, 1 cup blue berries, 1 T ground flax seed, almond milk - oh so good!

So, I gave up on steel cut or pinhead oats years ago because of the cooking time. I went back to old fashioned rolled. But recently I bought a box of pin head oats and decided to try cooking them overnight in the slow cooker. Well, I was very pleased with the result. Very creamy and hearty. The problem is, I'm not going to cook up one single serving batch a night. So I made a weeks worth. The first day, fresh out of the cooker was delicious. But unlike cold rolled oats, it did not reheat well. It was a solid heart sheet of coagulated pinhead oats that resisted being reblended. The lumps stayed put and wouldn't cook or smooth out. Not as nice at all. Any suggestions? Should I add more water than 4 to 1? Would the resulting absorbion make a creamier batch that would reheat well? I don't want to buy another gadget. What's the best approach to this?

I dont understand the problem with steel cut oats. We cook ours one time a week and refrigerate. Hubby scoops out a chunk, puts some milk on it and microwaves it for a minute or so. Hot and creamy. I actually like it better after it has a chance to absorb more liquid and sit around.

We also did find quick cooking steel cut oats at Costco. Still like them better the next day.

A friend of mine puts steel cut oats in a crock pot and cooks it overnight. I've been dying to try that, but I only have a 6 qt crockpot.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What is the ratio of water-steel cut oats for overnight in the slow cooker?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    What is the ratio of water-steel cut oats for overnight in the slow cooker?
    I have read 4 to 1. The first day was lovely. After that it was hard to reheat. I might try adding more water this week.

Thread Information