Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 94

Thread: Trump Tweets

  1. #21
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I am puzzled by him and those who voted for him. When I ask for answers they are so defensive they were asked.
    I have a fair number of friends and acquaintances that voted for him. The ones I've talked with voted against Hillary and against a continuation of the Obama policy rather than for Trump. He is not especially popular even among them. Some agree with certain of his his policies, but I've not talked with anyone who claims to actually like him or his leadership.

  2. #22
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have a fair number of friends and acquaintances that voted for him. The ones I've talked with voted against Hillary and against a continuation of the Obama policy rather than for Trump. He is not especially popular even among them. Some agree with certain of his his policies, but I've not talked with anyone who claims to actually like him or his leadership.
    You have not talked with anyone who actually likes his leadership. Teacher Terry doesnt know anyone who voted for him.

    In my electric blue city I know 5 Trumpsters just off the top of my head and at least three of them will articulate why he could be good for the country.

    ya'll live in a bubble.Hope that lack of diversity works for you.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,807
    Faithless electors. Secession talk. Hundreds of unredeemed promises to leave the country. Impeachment fantasies. Assassination porn.

    Trumprage takes many forms. Many of them futile and silly. The reality of the situation is that the best hope of thwarting the man now rests with the Republican Congress. Following Trump tweets and clucking your tongue accomplishes nothing. Late night TV pundit-clowns ranting accomplishes nothing.

  4. #24
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You have not talked with anyone who actually likes his leadership. Teacher Terry doesnt know anyone who voted for him.

    In my electric blue city I know 5 Trumpsters just off the top of my head and at least three of them will articulate why he could be good for the country.

    ya'll live in a bubble.Hope that lack of diversity works for you.
    I know I've mentioned this here before but I'll never forget being on a train from London to Bath a few weeks after the 2004 Presidential election, listening to another American tourist a few rows behind regaling the local passengers with her view of the election. She went on and on about how she just couldn't understand how Bush was re-elected when she didn't know a soul who voted for him. After about the 3rd time, my wife turned around and said, "Now you do. I voted for him, and so did he (pointing at me)". The locals around her all snickered and laughed and her face turned red. I guess that's what happens when your bubble bursts in public.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    565
    his votes outnumbered Hillary 2 to 1 in my county. Big reason among hubby's co-workers are gun rights. Don't trust Hillary, don't like Hillary. Yes, they really want "the wall."

  6. #26
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,092
    Hmmm.....I don't know if it's accurate to say someone is living in a bubble, if they are living in an area that is different from another area. In fact, it seems like a put-down to me. I understand why most (maybe) voted for trump because they want change. Asking someone why they voted for Trump isn't stupid.......some of us just might want to understand their reasoning....and maybe have a discussion. Not to point out their ignorance. (although that may happen).
    I'm trying to understand this "bubble" accusation. So living somewhere where you're not engulfed in people who believe different from you, is living in a bubble? I don't think so.
    I'm having trouble articulating my feelings. I just think it's sort of rude to imply people live in bubbles if they don't agree with you.

  7. #27
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,165
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Hmmm.....I don't know if it's accurate to say someone is living in a bubble, if they are living in an area that is different from another area. In fact, it seems like a put-down to me. I understand why most (maybe) voted for trump because they want change. Asking someone why they voted for Trump isn't stupid.......some of us just might want to understand their reasoning....and maybe have a discussion. Not to point out their ignorance. (although that may happen).
    I'm trying to understand this "bubble" accusation. So living somewhere where you're not engulfed in people who believe different from you, is living in a bubble? I don't think so.
    I'm having trouble articulating my feelings. I just think it's sort of rude to imply people live in bubbles if they don't agree with you.
    It's not because they disagree with you, it's because they don't know anyone or can't imagine anyone who might disagree with them. The ones who say "I don't know anyone who....."

    In my example, it was even more than that. This woman was so certain of her thoughts on the election that she couldn't imagine anyone thinking otherwise and felt perfectly safe ensuring that everyone within earshot knew she was on the right side. When my wife spoke up and the other passengers showed amusement, you could almost see an actual bubble bursting around her. It was funny.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #28
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,375
    Rather than a bubble, I call it a 360 degree mirror. If one cannot step outside his/her mirror, that is all that one can see. It is ignorance ( lack of understanding) in both directions. Happens all the time, not just in political situations.
    How to come to some meeting of minds is more the question not: "why did you do what you did?" I have occasionally been asking people who think differently or choose differently, "help me to see the situation your way"; ie., I would like to try to walk in your shoes as you are a smart, capable and intelligent.
    Most times, I just accept that others have their own unique wonderful way of seeing things and value the diversity and let it go as the situation "is what it is" and talking about it doesn't change a thing.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  9. #29
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,092
    I think this time, in history, it's much more frightening to think of this man as our leader. I consider him as mentally ill; having a personality disorder. When people vote for someone like that, it can be extremely frightening and hard to understand. He could do lots of damage everywhere. To me, it's different than if you voted for Bush, or anyone else. I live in the middle of an area where probably tons of people voted for Trump. I don't necessarily spend time talking with them, because other of our basic values are really different. Why not avoid people who are extremely different than you? I don't harm them in any way. I just avoid them.

    I think this goes into our instincts of seeking out "like" peoples. Yes, it's fine to try to find things in common we have, but there can be some huge basic differences. It doesn't mean I'm living in a bubble if I choose not to be around certain people.
    But like I said, this time with Trump.......it's totally different than it's ever been before. It's just very unfortunate that there wasn't a middle-ground choice. Then again, there's lots of people out there who don't want middle ground.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Rather than a bubble, I call it a 360 degree mirror. If one cannot step outside his/her mirror, that is all that one can see. It is ignorance ( lack of understanding) in both directions. Happens all the time, not just in political situations.
    How to come to some meeting of minds is more the question not: "why did you do what you did?" I have occasionally been asking people who think differently or choose differently, "help me to see the situation your way"; ie., I would like to try to walk in your shoes as you are a smart, capable and intelligent.
    Most times, I just accept that others have their own unique wonderful way of seeing things and value the diversity and let it go as the situation "is what it is" and talking about it doesn't change a thing.
    I really like this "help me see it your way." I imagine that gets much better results. Personally, I have given up talking politics these days because I am seeing way too much damage being done, but that's just me, I can't handle it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •