Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bit of a rant re: health insurance

IF some medical crisis came upon us- without coverage.... it could cost us every penny in savings.. I've read horror stories where they could come after your house if you can't pay Medical bills..
    yes but most medical bankruptcies are people WITH insurance coverage, not sure how this comes about but I could think of many ways:

- deductibles and maximum out of pockets greater than the money one has - not everyone has 6k to meet a deductible which isn't unusual for bronze plans
    - getting any care out-of-network that isn't covered under emergency coverage with a HMO which can easily happen without one knowing about it as in-network hospitals hire out-of-network staff
    - balance billing games with out-of-network providers with PPOs - you think they are going to cover the out-of-network 50% but they aren't due to balance billing and only cover a tiny percent of the cost.
    - probably others but who can keep track of the moving target of what is in many ways an ever morphing scam

About the only way to avoid unexpected expenses entirely is to go with something like Kaiser where it's a whole in-network system including it's own hospitals, but it has it's advocates and it's detractors.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    At my last job I paid $4500 a year for a single plan so meager it did not meet Massachusetts Minimum Creditable Coverage requirements so employees paid a penalty when filing their state income taxes although Federal ACA requirements were met. And I was told by the state I could not purchase an individual plan through the state healthcare connector because I had an employer plan available to me.

I am out of work now and looked at temporary work. Only one agency had a plan that met state requirements and it would have cost a third of my take home pay. So I am not working, getting a subsidized pan although I would rather be independent, and trying to find a permanent job with a plan the state approves. There are many jobs across the state line in New Hampshire that will not qualify. The health care system is a mess. People should not be penalized when no option/affordable option is available to them.

Agree completely. Wait until May when the insurers have to announce whether they will offer any ACA plans for 2018. If Mass is going to require insurance and not let you buy outside of employer's plan, it is on them to ensure all employer's meet the plan or forgive the ee's the penalty.

Thread Information