Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the birds?.........still

Where are the birds?.........still

Still, hardly even of the fraction of the birds that should be here now. I only see a couple a day instead of the many I usually see this time of year. It's rather eerie.

What kind of birds frequent your area? I just put out a couple fresh suet cakes and the bird feeder for the season. Our old mail box serves as the squirrel feeder - trying to keep
    everyone happy!

We have never had pets - but we enjoy the wild ones that come and visit our yard.

Yes this year the birds were few here and on other side of state at my father's feeder. He has lived in his home since 1956 and keeps daily logs of his sightings. The last few years really have been sparse.

We haven't noticed a difference in our area.

I'm a bit of a birder and have not noticed anything different about this year personally or in the posts on the birder sites. It's still a little early here for the birds that migrate here or pass through and some are just starting to show up.

Lots of singing and flying around here.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

They're finally picking up here now. Who knows.......maybe some people in the area (big rural area) are feeding them and they are drawn away from here. But I've talked to a fair number of people online who have noticed a drop off in numbers too. It may just be a normal variation...........but with other funky things going on (pollution/climate change, loss of habitat, etc.) it makes you wonder. I've had a huge drop-off in butterflies too.

Seems like the birds are starting to mate/nest now. We have a nest over our light outside one of our doors. I hope it's the usual nester, which is a phoebe. They are so mannerly. haha They don't freak out if we go on the porch.
    And I saw a Carolina wren with nesting material in its mouth outside the kitchen window. So I went out and looked, and it had built a nest in a basket I had out there. I see male mourning doves chasing females. I'm hearing lots of woodpecker drilling in the woods. I'm still waiting for the turkey vultures to return. I love those guys. Lots of tufted Titmous singing going on too. Love those birds!
    Oh....and I've been seeing bluebirds.

We had a bluebird in our pasture yesterday when we were fixing fence!

I slept with the windows open since we're running 15-20 above normal. Yesterday it hit 90. Let me tell you, the birds were loud this morning. Lots of conversations going on in the trees around my house. I've heard someone in the area already saw a hummingbird and it's very early for that.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Cathy, are you a member of your local Audubon Society? I am, and we have a list serve, and everyday people send out what they are seeing--this week it was a golden eagle, a kestrel, and something else that was really early. They tell where they saw it and then you know where to look--I saw a snowy owl over by Menards because that is where he hangs, and someone told us that.
    So you might enjoy being part of your group if they have listserve, or start one if they don't.

Thread Information