Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the birds?.........still

Wow Float On......that is a bit early for hummers! I live in central Indiana I usually see them the first week of May.

Tybee......thanks, I'll look into that. That would be cool to hear that others have seen something, so I would be more on the lookout. What part of the country do you live in? It must be north or Canada. I would DIE if I saw a snowy owl!!
    I haven't even seen any barn owls. My friend in southern Illinois put up a barn owl house last spring and got a nesting pair that had babies!

Greg.........sorry I never answered your question about the kinds of birds around here, so here goes:

cardinals
    doves
    chickadees (black capped and Carolina)
    Wrens (Carolina and House)
    nuthatches
    woodpeckers - downy, red headed, flickers, pileateds, sap suckers, red-bellied, Hairys
    cuckoos
    meadowlarks
    woodcocks
    phoebes
    Great crested flycatchers
    kingbirds
    pewees
    brown creepers
    juncos
    ruby throated hummers
    blue-gray gnatcatchers
    Northern parulas
    robins
    trushes
    waxwings
    veeries
    thrasher
    thrushes.
    Indigo buntings
    all different sparrows
    bluebirds
    scarlet tanager
    turkey vultures
    great horned and barred owls
    Oh.....and I can't forget robins.
    Okay.........you get the idea. haha I could go on and on. I love migration time, but last year, there didn't seem to be any. I'll keep my fingers crossed for this year being better.
    Okay........I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

It's all new to us since we moved north so I will have to relearn the birds for this area. Yesterday, I saw my first ever northern flicker. I do miss seeing mockingbirds and cardinals though.

Cathy, we live in Northern Michigan. I know it's a lot warmer in Indiana; my son lives in southern INdiana and they barely get snow!

I saw a hummingbird outside my window a month or so ago. A friend was kept busy thawing out her feeders during our cold spell to keep hers fed. Apparently, some don't migrate.

I have my Hummingbird and Oriole feeders up, frozen today in MI, but ready for the scouts when they arrive!

Lucky us...we have Annas hummers year-round. The rufous are here now.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Now that it is late spring, my feeders are so busy. We have an assortment of Woodpeckers, Hairy, Downey,RedBellied, Flickers, Oriole are back and hoping they are nesting out back, the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds are back in full force. I thought the neighborhood Foxes took out the Chipmunks but nope more than we possibly need. Fox we only had occasionally seen them in our country sub, this year we have two litters and they are very brave. I walked my 80 pound mutt and the mom Fox paced us the other day, growing the entire time. First I was amused then I got a bit bothered as I did not want that confrontation. Nature is wonderful.

Birds are busy in southern Ontario but no hummers at my house as yet despite my feeder. I asked a friend who has about 5 feeders going to keep up with the orioles and hummers and she said that they are busy. I have planted a pollinator garden so hope that helps.
    Nice variety of birds nesting in the 4 large spruce trees back of my yard so my birdbath and niger/sunflower feeders are busy. I put a suet block in a metal frame in a rotating feeder and the robins are enjoying it. Didn't know that robins would eat at a suet block.

ETA: I was out planting in my garden and saw my first hummer!
    Last edited by razz; 5-24-17 at 4:28pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We had our annual visit from the Western Tanagers last week. They leave as quickly as they come. But so pretty to see while they are here. The downer is that I learned they love to feast on honeybees! And our neighbor has hives. Good they're not here for long, I guess.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We have a lot of Chats and Baltimore Orioles this year. The indigo buntings just showed up recently. A little bird hit my window this morning and was dazed for awhile. I kept my eye on it, and it eventually flew away. I think it was a warbler or thrush.
    Funny thing, for 2 summers now, downy woodpeckers are coming to the hummer feeders constantly. I hope they don't get diabetes. haha

I realized a few years ago that the hummer feeders that had the yellow on the feeding holes, drew too much attention to the bees, and then the bees would drown.
    Walmart carried a very inexpensive brand called "First Nature", that had all red ports, and the ports consisted of 2 tiny slits. I think the slits really kept the bees from drowning, although the ants would drown.
    Anyhow, I went to buy another one and Walmart has changed brands back to the yellow ports. But I did find a couple places that still sell it, but they've gone to the bigger round holes again. Bummer. The woodpeckers don't seem to hurt those tiny slits. Maybe they just use their tongues, like the hummers do.

Thread Information