Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A & E New Hoarding Episodes!

A & E New Hoarding Episodes!

So, A & E has new hoarding episodes beginning on Dec. 18! Just in time for holiday purging. Now, if someone would start a Marie Kondo show, then everyone would be happy!

These shows kind of creep me out, I have to admit. I went to an estate sale where the guy had been kind of a hoarder and the feeling of stuck energy and grief in the house was literally disturbing--I had to get out of there and I didn't even buy anything because I didn't want that energy.

We just had an emergency animal rescue/trapping request for a 3 story house "full of junk" that was to be demolished this coming Saturday. Now I do not believe most of the story and waiting until the last minute is a disaster. But I told the rescuer (not the pet owner) asking for help to find out if haz mat suits and respirators were involved. "Full of junk" with at least 4 animals in it can be quite horrible or just messy. But the fact the house was being demolished means in our area that it is not safe. Wonder what they will find?

Starts Sunday night and they have been showing commercials. It will inspire me to do the Marie Kondo thing to help me prepare more for moving.

The title of the show is misleading. Hoarding as defined is 'over accumulation of stuff for the purpose of future use' but many of the homes featured on the show are filled with trash, garbage, decomposed food items, human and animal feces, dead animals, etc.. True hoarding can be a fire hazard with chance of entrapment in that one cannot get out of the house in the event of a fire but not a necessarily a health hazard as exhibited in many of the trash filled homes featured in the show. I am intrigued by the psychological aspect (why would a person do that?) of hoarding but cannot watch much of the show or I want to vomit. I am just the opposite. For example, mail rarely even makes it to the table top....it is either useful and goes to the appropriate spot, goes into recycle or in the trash.

There are different levels of hoarding and the individuals on this show are usually at the top levels. I like watching how people start to recognize their problem which stems from other issues or multiple issues. What is really amazing is how many people do this because it is so hidden from view.

This should be two episodes - not one and the guy's stuff is more like American Pickers to me than hoarding.

Second episode was sad. Now I know who is keeping Bath and BodyWorks in business.

Sandy, not all hoarders live in squalor. I think the defining difference between to two shows is basically how the owner of the stuff would react to an offer to buy some of it. A hoarder can't really weigh the offer rationally. The very idea makes them panic.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Sandy View Post
    . Now, if someone would start a Marie Kondo show, then everyone would be happy!
    Just the other day I was flipping channels and caught an commercial for a Japanese Cleaning Method book (Marie Kondo knock-off). "You can buy the book for $10 but wait there's more! Order by Dec whatever and we'll send a second copy free (just pay separate shipping and handling)". I nearly died laughing - clutter you have a problem , here is a book, no 2 books of the same thing!!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information