Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: "Pop outs"

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,405

    "Pop outs"

    Governor Scott Walker "balanced" the budget this year by robbing from the Transportation fund. This morning 2 cars on the beltline (expressway system in Madison, WI) had flat tires because the roads are so bad they are hitting potholes and causing flat tires. They are calling these "pop outs". The road system here in WI has really deteriorated. You think there is a correlation Gov Walker????

  2. #2
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,014
    Those are usually caused by water and freezing temps. It's been extremely cold here in Ohio this past week and the holes are "popping out" all over.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,691
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Governor Scott Walker "balanced" the budget this year by robbing from the Transportation fund. This morning 2 cars on the beltline (expressway system in Madison, WI) had flat tires because the roads are so bad they are hitting potholes and causing flat tires. They are calling these "pop outs". The road system here in WI has really deteriorated. You think there is a correlation Gov Walker????
    Where should he have taken money from? Why did you express "balanced" in quotes? I presume there is a requirement that Wisconsin balance its budget, most all states have that.

    On the topic of balanced budget, my guy Rand Paul has been talking about balancing the U.S. Budget, getting ready for spending excess that Trump may be going for. Rand is the only politician I gave money to this year.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,331
    A balanced budget sounds really good right now, but that is what I am working on for our household right now, so it is on my mind.
    Those roads sound awful frugal-one, and dangerous to boot.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Those are usually caused by water and freezing temps. It's been extremely cold here in Ohio this past week and the holes are "popping out" all over.
    This is the first year we ever had such bad roads and we have cold every winter. The roads have been in disrepair and this is the outcome.

    [QUOTE=iris lilies;259396]Where should he have taken money from? Why did you express "balanced" in quotes? I presume there is a requirement that Wisconsin balance its budget, most all states have that.

    Walker actually took money from the Transportation fund. He never balanced the budget. He just robbed Peter to pay Paul and now we are going to pay!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,583
    Because we lack the drama of unfunded pension obligations in Wisconsin, we need something else to argue over. The Transportation Trust Fund is a perennial favorite. We can argue about whether the gas tax is too low/high, whether we should spend a greater proportion of it on rail/bike paths/buses, whether we should implement toll roads, whether some parts of the State get an unfair share of the spending, etc. "Raiding" the trust fund has been a popular budgetary strategy for governors of both parties and a source of indignation for their opposition for a long time.

    People here seem to either really despise Walker or really like him. I could see how some, especially around Madison, would want to blame him for every pothole and two-headed calf. If someone takes the position that potholes are a recent development in Wisconsin, it's generally easy to guess their political leanings.

  7. #7
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,691
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Because we lack the drama of unfunded pension obligations in Wisconsin, we need something else to argue over. The Transportation Trust Fund is a perennial favorite. We can argue about whether the gas tax is too low/high, whether we should spend a greater proportion of it on rail/bike paths/buses, whether we should implement toll roads, whether some parts of the State get an unfair share of the spending, etc. "Raiding" the trust fund has been a popular budgetary strategy for governors of both parties and a source of indignation for their opposition for a long time.

    People here seem to either really despise Walker or really like him. I could see how some, especially around Madison, would want to blame him for every pothole and two-headed calf. If someone takes the position that potholes are a recent development in Wisconsin, it's generally easy to guess their political leanings.
    Confirmation bias at its finest.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Because we lack the drama of unfunded pension obligations in Wisconsin, we need something else to argue over. The Transportation Trust Fund is a perennial favorite. We can argue about whether the gas tax is too low/high, whether we should spend a greater proportion of it on rail/bike paths/buses, whether we should implement toll roads, whether some parts of the State get an unfair share of the spending, etc. "Raiding" the trust fund has been a popular budgetary strategy for governors of both parties and a source of indignation for their opposition for a long time.

    People here seem to either really despise Walker or really like him. I could see how some, especially around Madison, would want to blame him for every pothole and two-headed calf. If someone takes the position that potholes are a recent development in Wisconsin, it's generally easy to guess their political leanings.
    We know your political leanings. BTW I voted for Walker. A great regret!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,583
    I voted for him in two elections and a recall. I think he's an imperfect but reasonably competent governor. Sure, he made me pay for half my pension contribution, but I'm still delighted to be in a solvent pension plan. He was a bit draconian in the funding of the University System, but I think it may have been a necessary jolt to get them to acknowledge reality. I doubt many people outside Wisconsin would have heard of him before the Act 10 kerfuffle. In many ways, his national prominence came from the Left's frantic behavior of that period.

    None of this is meant to imply that I am a pothole partisan.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,969
    They can also be caused by high spots being hit by snow plows. Those high spots are as already mentioned, spots where water has soaked in and frozen in pockets in and under the road.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •